Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a new R170 SLK230 owner and must say I am delighted with it. I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions that I hope somebody can help with. I have noticed that the fluid in the roof mechanism reservoir is slightly low but it isn't obvious to me how to refill it, so a few questions:

1. how do I top up the fluid?
2. exactly what sort of fluid should I be using?
3. is there anything else I'd need to do (bleed the system maybe)?
4. is this a DIY job or should it be done at dealer?

Apologies if answers are already posted but I did a search and couldn't see anything. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
1) This photo shows the reservoir with the trunk liner removed. The filler is the one circled in red on top of the pump, towards the outside of the car and behind the hydraulic lines.. Although there is some argument whether the roof should be up or lowered, I found that it did not make any difference in the fluid level, so just keep the roof up.
You don't need to remove the trunk liner, just work through the trap door and use a syringe with a thin plastic pipe to transfer the fluid into the reservoir. The hardest part of the job is to loosen the fill plug - not much space and a lot of thin pipes in the same area.
2) Use only genuine Mercedes hydraulic fluid. It's not too expensive and a bottle will last the lifetime of the car.
3) System is self-priming - no bleeding required.
4) You can do it yourself. The filler plus requires an Allen key(hex key). You can measure the size on the plug copper colored plug on the side of the pump/reservoir. (N.B! Don't remove/unscrew this plug). I found it best to use a socket-type Allen key and a very short ratchet, since I couldn't exercise sufficient force with the L type Allen keys. I did mine in about 20 minutes.

Also see this link on refilling it: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1341369-i-have-just-topped-up-hydraulic-reservoir.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, excellent instructions. It's about 3mm below the lower line. I'll have a good check for leaks and key a close eye on the level once it's back to the correct level.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've refilled the reservoir using the instructions provided and it worked perfectly. I managed to undo the filler plug with a normal 'L' shaped hex key and then slowly fill the reservoir using a syringe and piece of tubing. For anybody else wishing to do the same, for reference the filler plug takes a
5mm hex key.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts