Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

Registered
Hello IKAR, I've actually used a line of products by Renovo Soft Top Cleaner | Renovo Convertible Roof Cleaner and it's done a terrific job - the wet season is here in Ireland but the roof holds out tight, not a drop since I've waterproofed it a couple months ago. Pic taken just now after it's been raining for the last 7h or so - the top does get saturated after prolonged rain and doesn't "actively" repel water, but it doesn't leak nonetheless :)

Attachments

Registered
Thank you for the quick response. Did you use both Renovo fabric soft top cleaner and Renovo Ultraproofer, or something else?

Registered
No worries IKAR. Yes, i've used both the cleaner and ultraproofer but between waterproofing it I applied 2 coats of Renovo Black Dye which made the fabric look brand new, and I mean brand new. I posted a couple pics before and after on one of previous pages, and 6 months later I still recommend 100%.

Registered
I don't think I need the Black Dye. The soft top is solid black. I live in New England and my 2005 CLK500 is a weekend car. I drive it only half a year and keep it garaged. It has only 50,000 mls. Every year I check the drain channels and treat the rubber seal with Gummi Pflege Stift. About 2 month ago I decided to clean the soft top and used Meguiar's Convertable Top Cleaner with a soft brush. It cleaned the soft top nicely, but some time later we had heavy rain all day and the roof leaked. It was leaking on both sides especially when I accelerated from still position. That's why I'd like to waterproof it.
How did you apply the cleaner and waterproofing, with a sponge brush, sponge roller, or something else? Thanks for your help.

Registered
IKAR, so my car has also been a weekend cruiser only, garaged all the time and only covered 47k miles since 2004 鈥 and that鈥檚 why it leaked, it was never weatherproofed as it wasn鈥檛 exposed to Irish elements 锟斤拷 The soft top certainly didn鈥檛 need dying, yet it greatly benefited from it as it brought back the deep black color 鈥 perhaps it鈥檚 not easy to see the difference in the pics, but in the flesh you can tell it. It鈥檚 a little bit like buffing the paint 鈥 it may not be required, but almost always improves the look. 锟斤拷

Going back to your question: I washed the top with a sponge and soft brush just to make sure no crevice was left untouched, and once dried applied the dye, 2 coats, with a brush followed by another 2 coats of Ultraproofer with a different brush. If you follow the instructions or watch the tutorial on YouTube you鈥檒l be just fine, it鈥檚 an enjoyable DIY for a Saturday afternoon 锟斤拷

Registered
You're very welcome IKAR - let us know which brands you went with and how they worked, will be useful next time somebody's top is leaking again :)

Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
Just an FYI, the canvas should not need any waterproofing to prevent leaks. It is a three-layer material that includes a waterproof membrane. It won't pass water unless that membrane breaks, which will happen over time as it becomes more stiff and brittle. A common place where that membrane breaks is where the canvas is folder over into the header at the front edge. Waterproofing will help extend the life of the canvas in these cases, but I just thought I'd mention that because it is designed not to need that treatment. Of course a water proofing treatment will make the outer fabric material better repel contaminants and keep it looking better longer.

Registered
Thank you Rudeney. Hopefully one day I can afford a brand new Benz and won't have to worry about this maintenance item required for teenage cars :D

Registered
Tried pretty much everything that you guys said, unclogging, spraying ... sprayed with Rustoleum Neverwet, is working for the light rain 3-4 hours but in heavy rain I still get a decent amount of water. After a closer inspection found out that actually there is a gap between soft top and rubber seal right at the corner for both sides (see attached pic) and that's what causing the water to pool inside the rubber gasket.

I am thinking to throw some butyl in that gap to see what's going to happen.

Attachments

Registered
Hi Corske, in the second pic - is this the front corner where the soft top's leading edge meets pillar A? And where your fingers are is where the window meets the top? If yes, I'd be hesitant to plug it because if the water's already penetrated soft top it has to come out somewhere, following path of least resistance - if you're to "block" this exit it will come out elsewhere. It I got the pics wrong could you zoom out a little bit and highlight which area is causing you grief?

Registered
Hi Corske, in the second pic - is this the front corner where the soft top's leading edge meets pillar A? And where your fingers are is where the window meets the top? If yes, I'd be hesitant to plug it because if the water's already penetrated soft top it has to come out somewhere, following path of least resistance - if you're to "block" this exit it will come out elsewhere. It I got the pics wrong could you zoom out a little bit and highlight which area is causing you grief?

Here is the pic with the explanation. Basically I want to fill that gap.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7s2iq806xev6w3/Photo Oct 26, 12 09 04 PM.jpg?dl=0

I agree - just plugging that hole will mean the water will leak out somewhere else. It really sounds like your soft top has a rip or tear that needs to be repaired. THat canvas should be totally waterproof.

Registered
Got it Corske - I can't lift my top as it's raining cats & dogs for the last few days, so can't confirm if I also have this gap. Unless it's a tear / defect I wouldn't block it, at least not permanently. To Rodney's point, I'd investigate where the water is coming in - if no obvious defect perhaps try a different waterproofer?

Neverwet for outdoor canvas is about as good as it gets. Use the entire spray bottle on the canvas.

Registered
Just an update, I sealed that gap that I was showing in the previous post with butyl. Looks like that did the trick, last period was raining like hell and didn鈥檛 see any leaks!

I'm glad that fixed it. Looking at your photo again, it does appear that the rubber seal might have had a tear in it.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
31 Participants
miko1aj
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing