Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the quality of the Ronal version of the Penta is like? Ouside of the cap they pretty much look the same and are both cheaper and easier to find. I'm getting impatient trying to find a good set of pentas and the Ronals are looking very nice right now. Not real of course but i have no reason to believe my SE is a 'Real' AMG anyway.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
Ronals would be fine and in fact they make many factory wheels for Mercedes. I thought we figured out your car was in fact a real AMG when you posted the valve cover sticker information.. Its definitely a euro car and if it has the AMG sticker on the valve cover, there's a 99% chance its got the 276hp 5.0L AMG spec motor. Those stickers were not reproduced like all the crap you see on ebay nowadays. I white AMG set just came up on ebay a day or two ago. They're pretty dirty in the pic and would probably need to be re-finished. If you're interested, I would check with the seller and have him look at the offset (ET) stamped on the outside of the wheel around the lug holes. I think I've seen this set before and it had a W124 chassis offset, instead of the W126 offset.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EuroCoupe - 4/6/2005 9:54 AM

Ronals would be fine and in fact they make many factory wheels for Mercedes. I thought we figured out your car was in fact a real AMG when you posted the valve cover sticker information.. Its definitely a euro car and if it has the AMG sticker on the valve cover, there's a 99% chance its got the 276hp 5.0L AMG spec motor. Those stickers were not reproduced like all the crap you see on ebay nowadays. I white AMG set just came up on ebay a day or two ago. They're pretty dirty in the pic and would probably need to be re-finished. If you're interested, I would check with the seller and have him look at the offset (ET) stamped on the outside of the wheel around the lug holes. I think I've seen this set before and it had a W124 chassis offset, instead of the W126 offset.

Yeah the car does have the AMG engine and body kit but I have no way of knowing if it was done by AMG or not.I do know the car was imported in '86 with 28K miles for $15K which seemed too cheap for a real one but maybe I'm mistaken and not giving the car the credit it deserves. Doesn't help that the previous owner (and her friend before that, most likely) treated it as a normal 500SE so who knows what goodies may have been replaced, I know she slapped in a used tranny instead of rebuilding.

The Ronal wheels are stamped 8j16e11 so i assume it's an 8x16 with en ET of 11 which I think is the same as the Pentas. As long as it worked with a 245 tire I'd be fine with the Ronals.

Thanks for the tip about the Pentas, I'll go look- the last set I saw there had only 3 wheels.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
That is the exact size and offset of the Pentas. A 245 tire will work fine. Very few shops were licensed to do the AMG engine upgrades and the most common non-Affalterbach AMG's are from Japan, Canada, or USA. If your car wasn't from Japan or Canada, I think its safe to say its a real AMG. Why are you so skeptical? You can pull a valve cover off and look at the cams to see if they have AMG markings on the ends near the MB logo, but I'm not really sure that all AMG cams had this. The AMG cam part number is AMG 50.1. To me, that worn out valve cover sticker says enough. Other than inspecting your intake manifold runners and looking at the valves on the heads to see if both inlet and exhaust have been polished, the only way to tell is the cams. What do your exhaust manifolds (headers) look like? Can we have a pic? They may have been put back to factory to federalize it...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EuroCoupe - 4/7/2005 11:21 AM

That is the exact size and offset of the Pentas. A 245 tire will work fine. Very few shops were licensed to do the AMG engine upgrades and the most common non-Affalterbach AMG's are from Japan, Canada, or USA. If your car wasn't from Japan or Canada, I think its safe to say its a real AMG. Why are you so skeptical? You can pull a valve cover off and look at the cams to see if they have AMG markings on the ends near the MB logo, but I'm not really sure that all AMG cams had this. The AMG cam part number is AMG 50.1. To me, that worn out valve cover sticker says enough. Other than inspecting your intake manifold runners and looking at the valves on the heads to see if both inlet and exhaust have been polished, the only way to tell is the cams. What do your exhaust manifolds (headers) look like? Can we have a pic? They may have been put back to factory to federalize it...

I'm skeptical because, well that's just me[:)] Seroiusly, with my luck buying cars the idea that i could buy a fake AMG and end up with a real one just seems too good to be true. As for the exhuast it looks like they just put in a US spec system (log type headers) that is choking the engine something awful. Replaced the gauges as well, not a very good job either as they didn't even get a cluster with an ABS light, I had no idea the car had it until I deciphered the body tag.

BTW, i couldn't find the Pentas you mentioned on ebay- do you have a URL? Thanks.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
'84 500SEC
183 Posts
The Ronal version had slightly different spokes...not sure exactly how, I think they were a little thicker from outside to inside.

No clue on price, most of the sets I saw were $1000 or so in varying condition...

But that was back when I had money to spend on the car.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MacDubois - 4/13/2005 6:53 PM

The Ronal version had slightly different spokes...not sure exactly how, I think they were a little thicker from outside to inside.

No clue on price, most of the sets I saw were $1000 or so in varying condition...

But that was back when I had money to spend on the car.
Another difference is the center hub- much flatter on the R-9 then on the Penta. Still at half the cost I can live with that for now.

·
Registered
1980 300TD Estate
451 Posts
I have a set of 4 Ronal R9's in mint condition. They are silver and look great.

Had the AMG 5 star "Penta" wheels..2 sets in fact before they both got stolen. Anyhow I had the Ronals on my white 126 and they looked great. Very correct looking for a white 126.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
mine were white at one time but it seems they have been 3 to 4 different colors over their liftime (due to owner changing his mind evey year!) , I think i will paint the centers white and polish the lips or just paint them silver and clear them.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,599 Posts
Ronal makes good wheels. One of my lorinser sets has ronal for lorinser stamped on them. Horst K

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
vondeutschmb - 1/29/2006 11:02 PM

I have a set of the ronal 15" penta's and a set of 16" pentas (no markings but they look every bit like the amg rims. I need to look again.
Where are you and do you want to sell them? Let me know.

·
Registered
This and that
154 Posts
The "Pentas" were made by ATS anyway. I had the R-9s on my E28 and there are quite a few differences. They are better known as the wheels from the original Saleen Mustangs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts