Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Everyone,

I wanted to know your reactions to this pick and choose. How do you think these two amazing cars will carry themselves when placed against eachother in road tests and real world driving.

DO you LIKE these cars? (Design, power, possible handling)?

Or, are they too much in a time where the stock market is nearing a 6 year low?

I personally think both cars are "strangely" nice, but the RR seems to have kept their basic lines the same even under new ownership. One can look at the Rolls Royce and know it is a Rolls Royce even ones from the turn of the century. Few can actually say a Maybach looks like a Maybach of the 20s. Is it just a supersized S600 ?

Let me know what you think.

Regards from a Benzophile :)
BRadley

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
You drive the Rolls out to work or school for a week and it'll blow up. You can drive the ...

You drive the Rolls out to work or school for a week and it'll blow up. You can drive the Maybach for years in heavy traffic and it'll still run fine. If you want a good looking car, I'd choose a Toyota Camry over the ugly Rolls Royce. How may Rolls do you see rolling around town? Everyone buys Mercedes, the super rich and famous buy the Maybach or S-Class. We all know that Rolls Royce simply sucks- that's why they are in deep financial trouble and no one buys them.

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Since the new Rolls is developed by BMW, I think there is no need to worry about the quali...

Since the new Rolls is developed by BMW, I think there is no need to worry about the quality or technology.

I saw both cars in Geneva. If they did something to the front (those small headlights and the absent bumper), the new Rolls would be really nice looking. The Maybach however is so ugly that it had to be modified beyond recognition to even stand the smallest chance being rated as anything other than one of the most ugly automobiles ever produced in the world.

I would go for a 600...

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buddy I agree. The maybach is NOT a visually pleasing car. It has such a funny proport...

Buddy I agree. The maybach is NOT a visually pleasing car. It has such a funny proportion. The S600 is very stylish, sleek, and handles far better than a maybach.

The Rolls royce would never blow up (re: the person answering before you). I havent heard of any cases where the engines failed. To my understanding, RR was famous for heir 6.75 liter engines with "Sufficient Torque"

One thing i must say though, the backseat of the maybach looks mighty inviting!

That Merc you posted, is that yours???

B

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Re: Buddy I agree. The maybach is NOT a visually pleasing car. It has such a funny proport

That Merc you posted, is that yours???
Unfortunately not. But one day...

The 600 I referred to is not the S600, but the W100 600 seen in the picture. Good thing that Mercedes gave the Maybach its own brand, because it is not a worthy successor of the mighty W100.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
I agree that the Maybach may not be as good looking as the S-Class but at least it's bette...

I agree that the Maybach may not be as good looking as the S-Class but at least it's better than the outdated looks of the Rolls Royce. In terms of reliability it has to be better too. I've heard numerous stories that Rolls are not reliable- you just can't use them as an everyday car. However, as JQ mentioned, BMW might make this Rolls a different story.

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Re: If I was in the market, I'd go with the Maybach.

Why? Other than being a gay looking vehicle, its built upon the great Mercedes technology that we know and love.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OUCH!

I know contractors are VERY unpredictable.

When we were building our house ...

OUCH!

I know contractors are VERY unpredictable.

When we were building our house in 1986 ( i was only 6 but still remember) my parents had to scream to get things done and had to supervise the entire project. We seem to have problems everytime we do something with the house! We installed carpets last year, and the factory sent us the carpets which were made on 2 dyelots making the colors totally different. ayear later we are STILL trying to collect. At times like this, one must just go to their car and drive! :)

B

·
Registered
C240 6-speed
16 Posts
Rolls vs. Maybach

I'm glad someone finally made the link between the Maybach and the old M-100 engined 600 Grosser (although I understand you weren't comparing them favorably). Whenever anyone talks about the new Maybach, I want to say, "Haven't you seen M-B's last version of this type of vehicle?"

Are you all familiar with the M-100 Owner's Group or the Int'l Assoc. of M-100 Owners? I have no affiliation, just discovered their websites and have become hooked.

Incidentally, I know lots of RR and Bentley owners and many of them do use their cars as daily drivers, with no abnormal problems.

PS: Guten Tag, Herr V. Ralf L. is currently in Hong Kong - I hope he doesn't bring back that nasty bug they have going around over there!

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I like the ingress of the Road & Track road-test (also found on the m100 page)
[quote]IF ...

I like the ingress of the Road & Track road-test (also found on the m100 page)
IF YOU PAID for a new Mercedes 600 in dollar bills (new dollar bills, naturally), the stack would be slightly taller than basketball player Wilt Chamberlain. If you made a normal down payment and financed your purchase of a Mercedes 600 for the usual 3-year period, your car payments would run about $490 per month. If, instead of buying a Mercedes 600, you invested the same amount of money in other cars you could get a Lincoln Continental, a Buick Riviera, two Pontiac GTOs and still have enough change left over for two and a half or three Volkswagens. The Mercedes 600 is not an ordinary car.
They are right, it is not an ordinary car.

But today I think they are atualy not that expensive. If you think about what an extrodinary car this is, and the low production numbers, I actually find the 600 cheap. There is an oldtimer garage in Toffen (Switzerland) very close to where I live. They have two yearly auctions, and at each auction there are normaly two or three 600 for sale. They go at around CHF 40,000 - 60,000 (US$ 27,000-40,000) but so far there has not been a car in perfect condition. A perfect Short Wheel Base 600 seem to go for EUR 75-100,000 in Germany.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts