Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1994 SL 600 and 1987 560SL
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well while I am waiting for my throttle bodies to be rewired is was time to move on to another project on my "Bargin" car. The roll bar is in the up position and when I press the button fluid comes out by the sun visor(drivers side). Where do I begin on this project. Don't have any immediate plans on taking top off for a while (113 deg) in AZ today. But I would like to get the roll bar down. Is there a manual way of lowering it?

·
Registered
2009 S550, 1973 Avanti II, 2008 Silverado LTZ
900 Posts
I'm not sure about lowering the roll bar, but I don't think so. I am sure your upper hydraulic cylinders are leaking. You need to talk to Klaus. It's an easy fix and will cost you about $100 or so to have them rebuilt, and they will be better than new.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
Was the rollbar already UP when you got the car ? or did it just 'deployed' recently ?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was already up. The guy before me must have it a curb or something because the piece under the bumps is broke off, would that have done it?

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
The emergency deployment is mechanically by compressed spring. To get it down, you will need to use the hydraulic cylinders to re-compress those springs. It is on a separate circuit than the Top cylinders so if your hydraulics is still working, you can do it. Just press the rollbar UP button and hold it, you will hear clicking (ratcheting) sound while the spring is being compressed. When it stops, you can press the button to lower the rolllbar .

Now if the deployment switch is broken off, then you will no longer have the protection of the rollbar if you manually lowered it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about the fluid that came out. I will have to fix the leak first right? Do I have to take the top of to fix the leak

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Depends on where the leaks are, as I said the rollbar and the top are on separate circuits, but both are fed by the same pump to the control valve blocks. So if the leaks are after the control block on the top circuit, then operating the rollbar would not be pressurizing the top circuit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep got it down. the leaks can be done when it cools down. Thanks a bunch for the help

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Glad your making steady progress. Be sure you follow the above advice and get tour cylinders rebuilt by Top Hydraulics. Anything else is foolish. FYI, I've heard of dealers wanting $ 12,000.00 to R&R all the hydraulic cylinders! :eek: they can be rebuilt for around sig hundred by Klaus, and a days labor to R&R them on your own.. By the way, if one set is leaking, the rest will follow in short order. Especially if the car has lived a hot existence ! Better stock up ! Did you send the TA's off ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts