Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rod ends for SBU shifters

2885 Views 57 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  TRUKTOR
I was wondering if these were standard for something other than Unimogs. Can the plastic inserts be purchased separately?

Anyone already been down this road?

As you can see from the photo mine has departed somewhere in the snow up here. That is the shifter for the crawler gears, clearly some zip ties will make an "ok" temporary fix so I am not in a rush.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Wood
See less See more
1 - 2 of 58 Posts
When one of mine gave up the ghost, I contacted AV and they ordered new parts for me. However, the replacement parts were different - genuine MB parts - the plastic insert types no longer being available. Not to say you may not be able to get some NOS parts anywhere.
The new parts require some modification to the existing bits - the ball ends having to be removed and coupling nuts/bushes to be made or purchased separately.
Some more info here: SBU reverse lever linkage
Gas Auto part Font Machine Nut

Gas Nickel Cylinder Auto part Metal
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 3
The situation is similar to that of the ALB linkage. I fixed mine some time ago and the ends were from a Japanese car maker - my favorite bearing place sourced them for me and they were pricey at A$120 for the pair - but they are quality pieces.
Hand tool Product Automotive tire Wood Weeder

Household hardware Fastener Wood Screw Auto part

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Idiophone Tire Crankset

Bicycle part Bicycle fork Gas Rim Plumbing
See less See more
  • Like
Reactions: 4
1 - 2 of 58 Posts