Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep. Second new windshield needed in under two months. Dammit.

What's the deal with SLK windshields being magnets for errant rocks and succeptable to breakage so easily? At $400 every time I have to go through this, it's rapidly getting kind of old.

Anyone know if there's a particular kind of windshield that's thicker or otherwise more resistant to damage?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The back one :D

I think its just down to luck m8, They hit you or they dont.

But i know it sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Ask the installer to use PPG glass. It is baked longer to make it stronger.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do insurance and most companys have done away with glass... There are still some out there or you have a grandfather clause and it stays on your policy till you cancel it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i replaced two slk windshields in two weeks. i have only EVER bought two windshields! there is a magnetism to them!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Insurance doesn't cover squat. The last time this happened, they (smugly) told me, "oh, your deductable is $500 and the glass repair cost is $499". Cute, isn't it?

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
You think you have it bad?
I have to drive the Washington Beltway (US 495) on a daily basis, when they were resurfacing sections I lost FIVE (5) windshields on the company Blazer in less than 6 months............ want the bill for that?

About the only thing you can try and do is to NOT follow too closely, that helps some, but in traffic, it just doesn't work well because somebody will always squeeze in.... :(

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Amazing... but yeah Off Topic... but why do SLK's windshield get so damn dusty all the time!!!!!!!!

Grr
I read an article recently about the hazy / film on the inside of the windshield that accumulates.
It claimed that the chemicals evaporating from the dash, seats, carpet and such causes it.

Glad to be breathing that all the time in such a confined space.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The bugger about this one is I have no idea how it happened. I went to a meeting yesterday and upon getting back in the car after the meeting to head back home, I noticed it. It definitely hadn't been there that morning but I don't remember anything hitting me either.

*sigh*

There goes my tax refund. Or part of it anyway.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have so many fine chips in my windscreen that when low sun hits it it looks asthough it's covered in fine road salt:eek: I've never experieinced this on any other car, It must be the low bonnet+angle of windscreen.

CMount

·
Registered
180 Posts
Insurance doesn't cover squat. The last time this happened, they (smugly) told me, "oh, your deductable is $500 and the glass repair cost is $499". Cute, isn't it?

Its true but there are ways around that if it happens to you again Ill show you how to get it all covered under the policy and not pay the deductable.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please do. I'm seriously considering changing my insurance company because of the nonsense they put me through the last time (I put a claim in). For this one, I haven't even bothered, I just figured I'd end up getting the same story and would end up having to eat the full cost anyway, so might as well do it without the irritation, salt-in-the-wound from them and associated paperwork.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
It pays to change insurance companys every few years. Each time I gone to another company I've saved a couple of hundered dollars or more, and almost always get better coverage or a lower deductable.

It's worth at least looking around before you have to commit again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is there much difference in who we use for filling rock chips? I've got a couple, and would probably go to Novus, but didn't know if they are all the same or not. I'd like to take care of it before they spread!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts