Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E320 4matic wagon w/nav, dynamic seating
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on re-installing the rocker panel covers on a '04 E320. I got them off pretty easily. Removed the plastic push pins and the bolt. Got them all cleaned up and am having trouble with the white plastic clips along the bottom of the door openings when I re-install. They stayed on the car when I took the covers off. I do not see how the rocker covers hook back onto them. Do I have to take the clips out and put them on the rocker panel covers first? They don't seem to want to budge from the door sills. Any experience with this would be appreciated.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
You have to take them gently out of rockers by gently prying two opposite sides at a time.

Once out they slide into the little tracks you see on the bottom of the cover. Line them
up and press the cover into place and all three should click back into place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I figured I needed to get those clips out...didn't look like it would go back in any other way. I'll give it a try. I did not want to break those clips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Followup for others needing to remove the rocker covers... I took about 10 pounds of sand and crud out of the rocker covers and even a few larger stones. (our harsh climate, sand on the roads, etc.) The clip flanges do go parallel to the car so squeezing them from both sides with a set of putty knives did the trick to pop them out as Noodles suggested. I did break a few early on before getting the hang of it which I had to replace through the dealer.

·
Registered
'04 Sprinter 318 CDI, '06 E320 CDI
117 Posts
Is this the engine cover underneath the car, or a wheel well plastic on the back side of the wheels you are referring to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
A little off topic.

Do you guys know where I can order a new rocker panel besides the dealer? And if it can come already painted that would be great.

My passenger side one has a huge chunk missing from it around the lift point. My guess is someone set the hoist up wrong before and tried lifting. Luckily you can't see it until you look under the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts