Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do some exploratory work, based on a mechanic friend who suggested the rocker arms might have become loose. Has anyone ever done this work and what torque setting should I check it with (The amount of torque) I was told take the valve cover off and just start checking the torque on the bolts. Any suggestions? Thank you

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,510 Posts
There are 6 rocker arm cages, one for each cylinder. Each cage has 4 bolts securing it to the ALUMINUM cylinder head. Like this:

http://bos-engel.com/benz/p4080002.jpg

If your mechanic thinks that the rocker arms are loose the only way this can happen is if the cage bolts are loose. In that case the cage will be lifted off the head a bit.

My point is that you should NOT simply pop the rocker cover and start tightening the rocker cage bolts to make sure that they are "tight enough." Unless you want to strip the threads out of the aluminum head, that is...

If the bolts are loose you'll know it when you look at them and/or twist them with your fingers. Torque spec is low; from memory maybe 25 lb.ft. Hit them with a half-inch breaker bar and your tears will start to flow, just like the money from your wallet

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
It's kind of common for the carrier bolts to strip out of head.

This is probably what you mechanic means when he says "loose."

·
Registered
"Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+ (RIP) August 2015
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I quess what you are suggesting is if they are loose after checking by hand, then tighten to spec?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts