Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While fixing the valve cover and breather oil leaks I noticed that many of the soft rubber parts on engine are rock hard and brittle. Age and 250,000 mi is hard on rubber parts.

So far:
- I have replaced brake booster to intake parts, the o-ring had to be broken to get it out, the red basket didn't grab/hold the booster hose (hose was loose in the fitting) resulting in what must of been a vacuum leak for engine and brake booster.

- New nipple and hoses for the valve cover breathers at rear of engine, resealing valve cover breathers and new valve cover gaskets.

- New gasket for the oil filler stem and cap.

- New intake gasket for the large black intake hose goes into the rear of the motor.(another possible vacuum leak) The intake hose mounting point at rear of the engine was broken too so I JB Welded it and put a large hose clamp on it to make sure it stays on if the JB Weld fails.

Is there anything else I should check while I have the valve covers and intake hose removed?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,406 Posts
Small vacuum hose from nipple on the back of right side of manifold to EGR valve. Cap on rear of manifold left.

Vacuum Leak.jpg

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,502 Posts
Yep, that is just an age thing. I learnt my lesson from an old 300ZX (1989 I believe) where the rubber hoses went brittle. Hardest problem to resolve were the vacuum hoses. I eventually replaced all of them, then sold the car. So, what I do with my MY05 ML (and whatever else I have in my garage) is to open the hood up after a long drive, and keep it open until the oil cooler housing is warm to touch - may take as much as 1 hr. Basically, evacuate the heat in the motor compartment as fast as I can, to hopefully, protect the rubber components. This may not be practical for everyone - mine is garaged - but folks can be creative. For me, the goal is to get the heat out as quickly as it is practically possible. In my experience with the ML, the battery drain is insignificant. I also do same for my 1996 3000ZX, my MY01 E430 and my a couple others - no battery issues.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
Yep, that is just an age thing. I learnt my lesson from an old 300ZX (1989 I believe) where the rubber hoses went brittle. Hardest problem to resolve were the vacuum hoses. I eventually replaced all of them, then sold the car. So, what I do with my MY05 ML (and whatever else I have in my garage) is to open the hood up after a long drive, and keep it open until the oil cooler housing is warm to touch - may take as much as 1 hr. Basically, evacuate the heat in the motor compartment as fast as I can, to hopefully, protect the rubber components. This may not be practical for everyone - mine is garaged - but folks can be creative. For me, the goal is to get the heat out as quickly as it is practically possible. In my experience with the ML, the battery drain is insignificant. I also do same for my 1996 3000ZX, my MY01 E430 and my a couple others - no battery issues.
Good idea, Darkmann, to evacuate the heat post drive.

I thought I was the only one doing this, Lol.

What would be cool would be a fan that you park over that comes on to blow air thru engine compartment.

I've seen some vehicles that have their electric fans run upon engine shutoff for a certain period or to a lower temperature.

Not sure how that might or could be accomplished on the ML using the stock electric radiator fan or maybe with an added fan ?

In any case it's gotta be beneficial.
Especially if you live in a desert or hot Southern climate...

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,502 Posts

What would be cool would be a fan that you park over that comes on to blow air thru engine compartment.

I've seen some vehicles that have their electric fans run upon engine shutoff for a certain period or to a lower temperature.

Not sure how that might or could be accomplished on the ML using the stock electric radiator fan or maybe with an added fan ?
Yep, that would be nice, especially in hot climates. For the ML, I think it's a battery issue. I have a SL which actually runs a fan somewhere after a hot drive. However, I' not sure if that's for heat evacuation of climate system duct evacuation. The car also has two batteries. Regardless, so far I have been pretty happy with just popping up the ML (and the SL) hood for a while. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one doing this.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Nice. I was picturing a wood framework into which you set one of those inexpensive box shaped window fans ($20 @ WM), pointed up, with airgap at bottom, that fits between wheels and gets switched on for 20-30 minutes post drive.

Such should nicely cool engine & drivetrain w/o lifting hood.

Anyhow - just thinking this would keep our rigs younger, longer !

David

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts

I thought I was the only one doing this, Lol.

In any case it's gotta be beneficial.
Especially if you live in a desert or hot Southern climate...
There's plenty of aftermarket 12V electric fans (of various diameter's, push and pull thru) that one can install on the front of the radiator, to get post-cool air flow thru the engine compartment. They can be adapted with a thermostat control for auto on /off and draw very little power or manual switch.
Never needed one of these, but for one of our 30x15 car shelters, we did used 6 - 140mm 12v computer tower fans to extract hot air out of the shelter to keep things cool in the shelter. Mounted them fore and aft and along the sides at the face of the shelter cover where we cut open and masked off the opening with a screened laundry exhaust cap. Worked like a charm to extract the heat from out under the auto. You can get these for next to nothing and re-purpose any small amp psu to power them.
Shouldnt be too difficult to diy a couple/few of these for post-cooling under the hood.
:)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Khomer:

Good idea.

I would try to source a dual set point fan controller so you can program an ON at 190drg OFF at 120deg or somesuch.

But you're right not rocket Science.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts