104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Today fail in this test....
CO2 LEVEL too high. FCK!
Must not be more than a 0.3 CO2, I had 1,13.... :crybaby2:

Any ideas, what could it be?! Lambda?!

Maybe someone had something similar?

P.S. When I get out of my car, I can even smell these exhausts, and thats no good!

Car - W211 2.0 Kompressor '04
109k km (~68k miles)

·
Registered
2003 E320 - wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my car!!
637 Posts
You have this issue and the Check Engine light is not glowing? I'm not familiar with Euro emission testing but it would seem that if the HC, CO and NOx levels are within spec, then the CO2 level would also be. You may want to check the oxygen sensors (up and down stream of the cat) to make sure they're working properly. It could be that one of the sensors is at its boundary and throwing the CO2 level off.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but wanted to throw out some ideas since nobody responded to your post.

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
MB E-200 W211 '04
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Paul!

Yap, the Yellow engine light is glowing also... but the smell was also before the error light! Anyway, I am going to the workshop 2morrow, after that I hope I will know what's the problem.

·
Registered
MB E-200 W211 '04
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there!

Just visited MB dealer Workshop. Found out that the front Lamba scanner (tester) which goes before the catalyzer is dead (not working correctly). Also the consumption is too high.
So my question is, can someone tell me where could I get the Part Nr of this catalyzer.... because they gave me this Nr, but I am not sure that it's correct.
The Nr which they gave - A 0045428818 .

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
Looks like the correct part for a 211.041. But it is not the catalyzer but the upstream oxygen sensor, isn't that what was diagnosed to have failed.

·
Registered
MB E-200 W211 '04
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the correct part for a 211.041. But it is not the catalyzer but the upstream oxygen sensor, isn't that what was diagnosed to have failed.
So I found that it's a Bosch part and the Nr is 0258007161 (Bosch Nr)
Costs approx. 188 EUR, so it's not so critical :)
I don't know exactly how it's called in English, but...

Hope that after change will feel the difference in consumption :) and I will be able to pass the test.

·
Registered
637 Posts
That part is what Diesel Benz called it: oxygen sensor. It is also called a lambda sensor as it is part of the lambda circuit which constantly feeds the engine control unit info about the fuel/air mixture combustion. When operating properly, the oxygen sensor output voltage should be swinging back and forth between 0.2 to 0.8 volts (typically) with quick transitions (oscillations). Looks like once you have the sensor replaced, you should be back to normal. Here's a picture I stole from a OBD2 scanner company's site that shows the relationship to the upstream vs downstream O2 sensors to help explain.

Regards,
paul...

Attachments

·
Registered
E500
708 Posts
O2 sensor ,, change all 4. Paul is correct. But since they all have the same wear,, why not change all of them.

·
Registered
MB E-200 W211 '04
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O2 sensor ,, change all 4. Paul is correct. But since they all have the same wear,, why not change all of them.

As I know there are only 2 of them?! Isn't so? One which goes before, one after the catalyzer.

I'm not sure, I will replace this one, and then will see...

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are 2 sensors per cylinder bank as there is usually a catalytic converter for each bank also. If you have dual exhaust pipes at the back of your car, then you will have 2 cats and 4 sensors as vettdvr pointed out.

I would also do what vettdvr recommended -- change them all out since another one will be causing problems soon.

Regards,
paul...

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
There are 2 sensors per cylinder bank as there is usually a catalytic converter for each bank also. If you have dual exhaust pipes at the back of your car, then you will have 2 cats and 4 sensors as vettdvr pointed out.

I would also do what vettdvr recommended -- change them all out since another one will be causing problems soon.

Regards,
paul...
US members usually think 12 cylinders is the correct number for an engine, 6 for a small engine but this one I think was an I4 kompressor. The 2 sensors per cylinder bank and one catalytic converter then counts up as two sensors and one catalytic converter. :)

·
Registered
MB E-200 W211 '04
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's right :) I have the small one... with 4 Cyl.
But it's not so bad! Have ~ 170hp, low consumption, (I hope that it will be after replacing this Sensor) :D from 0-60 in 9 sec ;) :D
OK, ok... but I also consider to buy the E320 or E320 CDI (w211) sdn instead of my existing car :)

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
That's right :) I have the small one... with 4 Cyl.
But it's not so bad! Have ~ 170hp, low consumption, (I hope that it will be after replacing this Sensor) :D from 0-60 in 9 sec ;) :D
OK, ok... but I also consider to buy the E320 or E320 CDI (w211) sdn instead of my existing car :)
The E220CDI runs well enough in my opinion at everyday traffic, at least as we drive in Europe (perhaps excluding German autobahns).

·
Registered
MB E-200 W211 '04
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here we go!

They changed the Lamba Sensor and spark coils (Bosch) and of course the CO2 Level still exceed the limit.
What else could it be? Catalyzer? But it's only 2004 and 68 k miles on it.... Don't believe.
Unreal! :(

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Need more info... Did you do ....???

What exactly did the dealer change?? All 4 Oxygen sensors or just the one bad one?

What was the percentage of did the CO2 fail by?? at what speed?

We have a SMOG II here in California... really strict; CO2, CO, and NO all must not exceed a specified limit in order to PASS the SMOG test.

Did you change the spark plugs?

Is the cold start valve leaking a little?

If the car has high mileage, use a higher weight motor oil for the SMOG test to eliminate the blow by in the exhaust.

Let us know what happens... and if you passed the SMOG test, what you did to lower the CO2 level?

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Pistons are for pu$$ie$ ;)

DB
I'm counting four from your photo, that makes you and pdiddy26 equal, excluding the minor difference in the "units". :)

But please come back to the issue, pdiddy26 needs help (I'm not familiar with engines, specifically gassers).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts