Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,739 Posts
Just for reference this is the hydraulic pump that supplies the fluid to the operating cylinders.
It is located in th trunk under the plastic covering that the spare wheel fits on to.
There are Max and Min fluid marker lines which are about 2.54cms/1" apart.
The reservoir in the photo is filled to the Maximum level.
Note: entire system holds 1.25 Liters of fluid

MY97-02 SL pump

Attachments

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Renewing the hydraulic system fluid every 2-3 years or 25K miles should extend the life of many of the hydraulic system components. This is not a part of Mercedes prescribed maintenance, so most cars are still running around with the original fluid (plus years of accumulated contaminants).

Here is a proactive approach, which I believe will improve the longevity of the hydraulic system.

1) With the soft top stored and roll bar lowered remove the R129 spare tire. Under the spare tire you will find a plastic cover over the hydraulic reservoir. Remove the plastic covers three nuts with a 10 mm socket wrench.

Note: The total capacity of the system is 1.25 liters, so you should have 2.0 liters of fresh hydraulic fluid MB p/n 000989910310 or Febi-Bilstein p/n 02615 = p/n 0009899103 in order to flush the entire system. My reservoir holds 250 ml when the fluid level is between the min. and max. mark. Here is the MSDS for Febi-Bilstein 02615

rmeuropean Febi-Bilstein p/n 0009899103 @ $8.42/Liter

autohausAZ Febi-Bilstein p/n 0009899103 @ $9.49/Liter

Note: always check to total with shipping. Sometimes if you buy $50-$65 worth of product they knock off the shipping but you have to plan in advance to wait 7-10 days for the free ground shipping.

3) Remove the reservoir cap and approximately 250 ml. of old fluid with a rubber bulbed battery filler then add new fluid to the reservoir so that you have about 400 ml in the reservoir. Remove the reservoir return line (tube closest to you when bending over into the trunk) with a 11 mm wrench. Place the return line into a >500 ml container.

4) Now have someone in the car. Turn the ignition key to the number two position. Lower the Soft Top. Cycle the roll bar first then the soft top 3-4 times refilling the RST reservoir to approx. 400 ml as needed between cycles. Then fill the hydraulic pump to the min/max line. Note: you will eventually see the color change to the new fluid color.

5) Replace the reservoir return line, cap, and plastic cover. Wipe up any mineral oil spillage. Return the plastic cover. Replace the spare tire and put the trunk back together in the reverse order.

I did a flush/renew of my system fluid today on 7-13-07. My car is seven years old with 30K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
2000 hydraulic system fluid flush and renew

Hey Buddy, Keep up the GREAT work!!! Have you ever had to change any of the cyl. on your car? I did the left front one last year and have had NO other problems!!! Hope my LUCK continue's. I checked my oil when I did the work and mine was still CLEAR so I will leave it for now. Maybe I'll put it on the list for next Winter!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2000 SL500 black - 2015 C300-4matic black - 2000 S500 black - 2008 S550 white
1,183 Posts
i just bought fuiled from my mb dealer and it cost $23 for a quart and it was green in color. so what is the dif from clear to green??????

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
luigiz said:
i just bought fuiled from my mb dealer and it cost $23 for a quart and it was green in color. so what is the dif from clear to green??????
Luigiz,
When I put the p/n Q1320001 from the blue can that you show in your DIY it comes up as 'M-B Power Steering Fluid' at www.autohausaz.com/search

You may want to check this out and possibly flush your hydraulic cylinder system fully with p/n 000989910310.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
What type of hydraulic fluid should be used

Ouick ouestion guys,

What type of hydraulic fluid dhould be used to top off the resovoir for the soft top operation? Does It have to be Mercedes factory fluid or can I get something from the local auto parts store?

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
Lexus LX470 06, Mercedes SL500 98 Sport pkg Panorama roof, Audi RS4 07
70 Posts
I just did the replacement yesterday, a very quick and easy job.

Don't see a reason for it not to be a Mercedes ZH-M one. The cost was minimal at 20 dollars or so for 1L bottle. Complete flush required two, one is more than enough to top up.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
In a word, NO!!!!! Many problems down the road!!!! {so it has been said here} If I were doing mine, I would go to the dealer.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Ouick ouestion guys,

What type of hydraulic fluid dhould be used to top off the resovoir for the soft top operation? Does It have to be Mercedes factory fluid or can I get something from the local auto parts store?

Thanks,

Ken
Ken, why top off your hydraulic fluid when it's 13 years old? Why not consider Hydraulic System Flush / Renew and you can use Febi-Bilstein 02615 which is the OEM of the MB product at a fraction of the cost. Trust me this has all been discussed at length in prior threads.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Importec Parts Catalog - p/n L7070-97881

Attachments

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
Ken, why top off your hydraulic fluid when it's 13 years old? Why not consider http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1328728-hydraulic-system-fluid-flush-renew.html and you can use Febi-Bilstein 02615 which is the OEM of the MB product at a fraction of the cost. Trust me this has all been discussed at length in prior threads.

Importec Parts Catalog - Mercedes Parts p/n L7070-97881

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)
Hello Lynn,

Much thanks for the advice and the links. You have a valid point here. I might as well just flush the hydraulic system while i am at it. Question; How hard is it to DIY. I try to avoid the dealer whenever possible, I am sure you can understand.

Thanks,

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Hello Lynn,

Much thanks for the advice and the links. You have a valid point here. I might as well just flush the hydraulic system while i am at it. Question; How hard is it to DIY. I try to avoid the dealer whenever possible, I am sure you can understand.

Thanks,
Very easy DIY. No more difficult than replacing your engine and cabin air filters. Make sure to read my link and have two liters of hydraulic fluid, battery filler, and some way to refill the rervoir(funnel, etc.) as the fluid cycles. I would suggest that you also have some throw away rags or paper towels in case you need to do a wipe up of any fluid in the spare tire area. It's just a mineral oil so no worry.

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Very easy DIY. Not any more difficult than replacing your engine and cabin air filters. Make sure to read my link and have two liters of hydraulic fluid, battery filler, and some way to refill the rervoir(funnel, etc.) as the fluid cycles. I would suggest that you also have some throw away rags or paper towels in case you need to do a wipe up of any fluid in the spare tire area. It's just a mineral oil so no worry.
Thank you Lynn for providing such in depth infromation on the subject as you always do. Ive read you link and it seems to be a very simple task.

Thanks again,

1995 MERCEDES-BENZ SL500

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Add me to the list.

As soon as I get my car back from the dealer from having its headlamp replaced and my new stainless braided lines put on, I will be doing this fluid flush. Looks pretty simple.

I already ordered the rubber-bulb battery filler and the OEM Mercedes fluid (less than $20/l) like lynns suggested, so it should be as mess-free as possible. It will also be interesting to see my spare tire for the first time. No joke, I have never been under there before. Lol. Kind of embarassed to admit it...

·
Registered
1995 SL500
169 Posts
Better Flush

This is what my old fluid looked like. It had the appearence of graphite not clear or even cloudly like beer. After cleaning the container I put one bottle of "No Leak" and filled the container and flushed out the system till the fluid cleared out. Then I topped it off with more fluid. 10/01/2008

1 - 20 of 78 Posts