Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a letter today from MBUSA outlining changes to the 24hr roadside assistance program. After 1/1/2011 the policy of all Mercedes having lifetime roadside assistance will be discontinued. Going forward there are a number of ways to qualify but basicly the blanket coverage no longer exists.

Cars that qualify....
Cars under current MBUSA warantee - OR
If YOU bought the car from an authorized MB dealer prior to 1/4/2011 - OR
You have had your car maintained at an authorized dealer - OR
SOL.

On the bright side - it's easy to qualify for the "dealer serviced" clause. One $100 in service (Single transaction) every 18months will qualify you.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
377 Posts
Just join AAA (or CAA) or use your auto insurance roadside assistance or whatever else is available. Roadside assistance is available everywhere today, for little to no cost. I received that letter, too. Since I do most of the work on my cars myself, I can't see spending $100.00 on a car wash or anything else, just to get the MB roadside assistance.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I agree with Bugs Bunny--------AAA is far superior to MB USA. I used MB USA out of Tampa once for a flat had to wait three hours to respond. FT called AAA the next time and they were at the house in an hour. AAA is far more responsive and reliable.

·
Registered
97 E420 / 84 190E 5spd / 09 Smart Brabus
54 Posts
Anyone knows how much they charge for servicing the transmission?
I was quoted over the phone $500 for a drain and fill. I just went outside and jacked up the side of the car in the grass and drained it myself. about 7 quarts came out.

AAA is like $100 a year, 4 100mile tows/lockouts in my area so its a much better deal for roadside assistance

EDIT: 5 quarts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
Howcome you did get 7 quarts from the plug?
I drained W210 transmissions 3 times and even with pan drop never got full 3 liters.
You guys do know that this is at least 3rd topic on the subject?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will say i pumped some out of the dipstick opening. But other than that, i dont know. I still got the used bottles to prove it.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 1975 450SEL, 1979 280SE
377 Posts
AAA is like $100 a year, 4 100mile tows/lockouts in my area so its a much better deal for roadside assistance
$100 a year seems high. I think we pay about $49. Either way, AAA can easily pay for itself. You get discounts all over the place. Hotels, rental cars, even things like vision centers, etc. Plus, free travel books, maps, vehicle registration and title work (depending on state). So, it is a very worthwhile thing to look into.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
I am getting AAA discounts at hotels never being AAA member. All it takes is ask for the best deal available. With lot of hotels having 90% vacancy it doesn't take much.
My insurance offers towing included for no extra charge and they have good assistance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I forgot to add I got a pretty good deal on car insurance with them, ended up saving $25 a month with them as a member, plus i use my discount at NAPA parts. I live alone so its nice to know i can get a ride home without calling friends or reaching deep in my pocket for a tow.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I have 3 cars (2 much older than the MB) and have used AAA for one of them several times. Some years it pays for itself and others not. I think I pay $75 to get the longer "free" towing distances. The basic membership only gets you 3 miles or so.

·
Registered
'99 E320 Wagon, ‘71 280SL, '97 SL500, '96 E300D, ’11 E350D
69 Posts
I have AAA Premiere Membership and it rules. MB can shove it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got my letter this afternoon. Another step in Mercedes Benz "decontenting." Is the "new" Roadside Assistance limited to flat repairs and jump starts???

I used the MB Roadside Assistance twice and both times got things AAA wouldn't have been able to provide. MB RA installed a starter relay of some sort and on another occasion replaced a battery, reset the codes, etc. No battery installation charge. Generally, for flat repairs, dead batteries, etc AAA is better...more AAA garages than MBZ dealers.

A MB service adviser told me not have him replace an aging but working battery as a precaution. If it failed and Roadside Assist changed it there would not be an installation charge. If he did it there would be.

On decontenting...what's with the 4 cylinder in the new 2011 C Class?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just got a letter today from MBUSA outlining changes to the 24hr roadside assistance program. After 1/1/2011 the policy of all Mercedes having lifetime roadside assistance will be discontinued. Going forward there are a number of ways to qualify but basicly the blanket coverage no longer exists.

Cars that qualify....
Cars under current MBUSA warantee - OR
If YOU bought the car from an authorized MB dealer prior to 1/4/2011 - OR
You have had your car maintained at an authorized dealer - OR
SOL.

On the bright side - it's easy to qualify for the "dealer serviced" clause. One $100 in service (Single transaction) every 18months will qualify you.
We have 3 MB at home. One of them will no longer be qualified. I have used Road Side Assistance 4 times in my whole life. Two for battery replacement, two for car jump (my son forgot to turn off the headlight before walk into the school).

Roadside service battery replacement really comes handy. It saves us a lots of time. And the charge for the new battery were very reasonable for MB standard. For battery jump, anyone can do it yourself, no big deal. But the problem is when a battery can no longer be jumped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The MB Roadside Assistance is one of the things that distinguished MB from the crowd. Just about all manufacturers have a roadside assist program that they contract out...it is essentially a clone of AAA. I think that is where MB is going with the "improved" program, Their roadside assist drivers carried a set of basic MB parts which they could replace on the spot and get you back on the road. Not so with AAA. Flat tires and battery jumps are their bread and butter. MB took it a step beyond that. Looks like those days are over. I suspect the local dealers financed the roadside assist operation and they got tired of picking up the cost.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
For those who do not use MB sevice outside of roadside it is a bad deal, for those who spend $100 or so a year, it makes no difference. They now inlude towing to the nearest dealer, which was not previously offered past the warranty period. If you belong to MBCA (MB club of of america) you automatically qualify.
The service call is paid by MB, on a flat rate basis, the benefit to the dealer is they get some service work which they would not have gotten by some of the owners who do their own work, etc.
A battery change is paid by MB, the dealership gets to charge over the counter price for a battery, if you come into the dealership they will charge labor. My dealership gave me a discount of 10% for being a club member, I have also heard the opposite of dealers inflating the battery price.
I dont understand all the concern, its the best deal out there, most others end with the warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts