Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL, 1996 740il, 2007 mini
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reserved a week in late August for a road trip in the 107. Plan is to drive from the Boston area to Nova Scotia. Does anybody have any recommendations on routes?

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,193 Posts
Take the ferry over. You waste too much time driving around. Too much to drive around and see in Nova Scotia to waste time getting there and back. Take a ton of memory cards for your camera, too.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,168 Posts
Take the ferry over. You waste too much time driving around. Too much to drive around and see in Nova Scotia to waste time getting there and back. Take a ton of memory cards for your camera, too.
Yes - That would be best - Two choices Bar Harbour & Portland to Yarmouth are there not? I think you need to book. Then drive up say east shore and visit Lunenberg, Chester, Mahone Bay etc en route for Halifax and then on to Cape Breton where you can drive a circular route. On way back, you could drive the other shore down through Digby back to Yarmouth.

Otherwise, I think you would head up through Maine and cross at Calais (pronounced kalis!) into New Brunswick and maybe stop at St. Andrews and St. Johns on way to Nova Scotia. There is also a ferry from St. Johns to Digby, but we never saw much point in doing that.

Thanks to Google - a ferry link:

Portland and Bar Harbor, Maine to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - CAT Ferry

Have Fun - Maritimes are just great.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,327 Posts
There is also a ferry from St. Johns to Digby, but we never saw much point in doing that.
That would be St John, New Brunswick. No "s" ....could get you beat up.....but they'd be smilin!

I did the whole coast. Beautiful.

You will need your brakes on Cape Breton...Cabot's Trail. Spectacular drive but hard on brakes.

Be prepared for the nicest people you ever want to meet.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,168 Posts
That would be St John, New Brunswick. No "s" ....could get you beat up.....but they'd be smilin!

I did the whole coast. Beautiful.

You will need your brakes on Cape Breton...Cabot's Trail. Spectacular drive but hard on brakes.

Be prepared for the nicest people you ever want to meet.
St. Johns would make for a more interesting trip though.:) Always wanted to go there - maybe use Air Miles one of these days.

We have been down to Maritimes several times - twice to race our sailboat in Halifax (but also visited Peggy's Cove, Chester, Lunenburg etc.).Then once by car to NB/PEI plus sailing Northumberland strait stopping in ports on both sides and then on to Strait of Canso. Once to sail Brad'or Lakes - stayed in Dundee for a few nights. But probably best was car trip round Cape Breton via Cabot Trail to Cheticamp. Then sailed to Magdalen Islands, then back to PEI and eventually to Port Hawkesbury where we hitched a ride back to Cheticamp to pick up the car.

You are right - the people ARE great! Both French & English speakers.

·
Registered
1984 380SL, 1996 740il, 2007 mini
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! Thanks for the ideas. I was originally thinking we would do a loop - drive up and around then take the ferry home. But, now it seems the better idea is to take the ferry both ways and spend the extra time exploring Nova Scotia. I checked the ferry rates from Portland ME (2 hrs from my house) and there is significant savings if booked by May 30. I will make the reservations after I hit the submit button on this post.

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,193 Posts
good call

East Coast is best, but you gotta do Digby on west. Plan on two days in Halifax,You need that because you need to eat at least twice at Five Fishes (? IIRC). Need to plan on a day at Lunenburg and some time at Peggy's Cove. Coolest trip we've taken in years. We didn't even do the upper half past Halifax. Ran out of time in a week between Digby and Halifax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts