Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington DC to New York NY
Round trip about 500 miles
Using 2007 ML 350
Full Tank of Gas @ 3.29p/g
------------------------------------

I have to admit, prior to my trip, I was very concerned about taking the ML on the road trip. Several reasons came to mind; bad/poor comfort/ride, valet's IQ, would it get stolen :).

Fortunately I had taken the ML on the road trip and here are my experiences:

I washed my ML prior to leaving Maryland. I wanted to make sure it was shiny when I pulled up in New York at my Time Square Hotel I reserved the night before. With the ML washed and dried I set forth on my journey with my son. The ride was comfortable during the ride from Maryland to Delaware. Different road surfaces were tackled with good road feedback. Turns and curves were an equal enjoyment. We crossed over the Delaware bridge and it felt solid. Crosswinds were minimal, either that or the ML did a good job compensating.

Home stretch was the long and boring NJ turnpike. Nonetheless, it was smooth and uneventful. Beside one cop trying has best to snag anybody who was going over the speed limit, there was nothing else.

I pulled up to the hotel around 4:00pm and checked in. The valet was eager to take my ML away. I then asked him a series of questions regarding the ML. Mainly about how to shift it into gear. I wanted to make sure he didn't try to force the gear shift since it is electronic. Of course he had the "don't care, dipsh*t" look on his face.

I felt really good coming out of the car. My back didn't hut, my neck wasn't killing me. It felt as if I just did a small daily trip to work feel. Very impressive. I did feel the steering wheel trying to fight me at higher speeds but got use to it.

Though this might seem like the laziest thing to say but, after engaging cruise control (no distronic) I wish I had a brake lever on my steering wheel. I wanted to have my foot flat on the floor but couldn't because I needed it ready to hit the brakes just in case.

I made it back home late Sunday night and all with one tank of gas. 507 miles and that is about 22 miles per gallon.

I liked the ride and felt the car in a new light. I remember someone else had a road trip issue and didn't like the ride, I wound suspect that the ride was bad because he went 700 miles in one day. Personally I don't think it is the car that was the issue, but the body not being able to withstand that long trip. I think/believe you do need to pace yourself when going on long trips and even though my trip was about 200 miles one way, I still took the time to get out of the car and stretch my legs.

Other notes:

The ML was very quiet in terms of road noise and outside factors. I don't know if Mercedes uses any type of noise canceling technology with their radios, but even with the radio set to moderate listening levels (remember kid in the car) it was quiet. Scan feature on the Radio shows a visual timer (cool feature).

Valet and Bell Hop loved the color (first time seeing it) Verde Brook :)

-----------------
Questions / Concerns / Comments / Other Stories:

If you have anything you want to share please feel free.

Thanks

:eek:

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
My trip

Took my ML on a road trip North as well but not quite as far. My stats:

DC to Philly
143 miles
avg speed 64 mph - 23.8 mpg

Philly to DC
138 miles
average speed 63 mph - 22.9 mpg

For an SUV that is not really that bad gas mileage and i am not too easy on the vehicle either. I noticed that if i cruised at a steady 60-65 mph the mpg is around 28mpg!!! But then what fun would that be

What i love about this SUV is that it is comfortable and rides like a car on the highway. It is really easy to control and comfortable on long trips and i just love the ability of this monster to pull away when needed even from 80 mph on the highway. Really a well build vehicle. And the HK system really rocks

Now i have to get the bugs off the truck ;)

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
oh and i must add that i did get my car valet parked at the hotel, but forgot to ask the attendant if he was familiar with shifting in and out of gear. Luckily i did not see scrathes or dents so i guess they knew how to use it...lol

I think they see plenty of MBs at the hotel anyway

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,135 Posts
Trip comfort

arbittan said:
Washington DC to New York NY
Round trip about 500 miles
Using 2007 ML 350
Full Tank of Gas @ 3.29p/g
------------------------------------
My longest one-day trip was about 360 miles. You didn't say if you have Airmatic or not, but that helps ride quality and gives you the option of stiffening things up for the twisties. I find mine very comfortable as well. Seats and ergonomics are great.

·
Registered
2006 ML 320 CDI
253 Posts
Seats are probably the most important aspect of a good road trip. In my ML I have a contour drivers seat, which gives incredible support to my lower back. I miss this everytime I get in me E Class.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got an ML320 after taking a thousand mile trip in an '06 4Runner. It wasn't a bad truck but the seats could use some better engineering. I've owned several Mercedes. All were great highway cars.

·
Registered
'10 Mbz S550, '03 Mbz C240, '03 Audi A4 2.0 Stroker, '08 Lexus SC430 PB Edition, '07 Prius
643 Posts
I take the ML just about every weekend to my other house in La Quinta, 150 miles each way and the car is great, we used to have a 1999 ML430, nothing compared to this, in fact last time we were going we hit about 105-110 MOH, very smooth, the old ML used to shake.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GregW / Oregon said:
My longest one-day trip was about 360 miles. You didn't say if you have Airmatic or not, but that helps ride quality and gives you the option of stiffening things up for the twisties. I find mine very comfortable as well. Seats and ergonomics are great.

My ML does not have Airmatic suspension.

My tire pressure was set to 38.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts