Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some new Michelins on my E320 that has about 143,000 miles on it. The tires have about 3,000 miles on them. I have recently noticed a lot of road noise coming from the rear. I have not had an alignment done yet so I am not sure if that might be the cause. At my last alignment (many miles ago), the mechanic noted wear at the control arm bushing and ball joints and recommended replacement at my next alignment. I am wondering if these issues may be what is causing the road noise and if so, any idea on what a dealership may charge to replace them? Thank you.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
by road noise do you mean just over bumps or the whole time? regarding front replacement of lower ball joints/swaybar links/swaybar bushings in over 100k mile w210's seems to make considerable difference. these parts are cheap and easy/quick to replace. for rear i think worn out rear swaybar links can cause squeeking over bumps.

·
Registered
2000 E320 Sedan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You dont notice noise that much at low speeds and I have not noticed anything in particular going over bumps. The noise get loud on the interstate at highway speeds.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I have not done that. What would that show?
If the noise is the result of irregular tire ware you will feel that irregularity. If you don't feel the irregularity than there is a good chance that the tires are not the issue. That was why I asked the question?

Alternatively, what happens to the noise when the rear tires are moved to the front.

The reason for asking that question is that I am trying to help determine if the noise is comming from the tires or some other mechanical part that turns.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
You dont notice noise that much at low speeds and I have not noticed anything in particular going over bumps. The noise get loud on the interstate at highway speeds.
is all the weatherstrip around the doors in good shape? is the sunroof closed tightly? what kind of tires do you have? summer high performance tires will be louder than all season touring tires.

·
Registered
MB
18 Posts
On my e55 I used to ride Pilot Sports, I had about 4 sets. After about 15K-20k the fronts would always start making some noise my front end was always perfect. There was no noticable uneven wear Since they were dif sizes front and back you could not rotate them.

Also I had Dunlop winter sports for snow. BIG diff in ride and road noise. They were much louder. I assume the rubber was softer in the summer PS tires.

my 2 cents

I did need lower ball joints twice in the 100K I had the car and control arm bushings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts