Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 e320
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a very nice 97 E320 yesterday. The car is in great shape, all records and no accidents.

I noticed that on the driver's side there is a significant amount of road noise and when accelerating hard, a lot of engine noise. It seems to be coming from under/behind the dash on the driver's side. I have not had the time to crawl all over the car so in the mean time I thought I would ask here. Is there a vent or something on that side that is open? Any suggestions are appreciated.

-B

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
There is an air passage between the interior of the car and the underhood fusebox. It is located at the very back of that fusebox. If the fusebox seal is compromised at the engine side, you may indeed hear it.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
It is not visible from under the car.

If you take the cover off of the fusebox (mine has six screws) you can see it from the front, and you can see it from the interior with the instrument panel removed.

·
Registered
95 E320 Special Edition,---01CLK320
9 Posts
Engine noise when accelerating hard........ Your 97 E320 is equipped with M104 inline 6 cyl. engine like my 95E320. These engines have a dual plane plastic intake manifold that is activated by the ECM on hard acceleration. Those 6 large runners are a runner within a runner.Normally you are using the small runners inside,but when you put the hammer to it that square panel between #3 & #4 runners activates & you run on the large outside runners giving that loud venturi roar. Sounds like you opened a 4 barrel carb on a car from the 60's %70's. My 95 E320 with the M104 does the same thing & is normal & operating as designed. That is one of the design features that gives this inline 6 cyl the amazing power it has. Hope this helps ! ------ Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts