Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
bowdown88 - 4/9/2005 2:54 AM

What gets on my nerves is the fact that diesel is more expensive than even premium fuel, boggles my mind. (Diesel is less expensive to refine therefore it should be cheaper as its always been, shouldn't it?) Or is Bush using all of it to drive his trucks through the desert? [?]
i dont get the point why diesel is more expensive..everywhere in the world ppl convert to disel bcuz its cheaper than gas but in US logic seems to work reverse...

·
Registered
86 420 sel,
162 Posts
i got a full tank for $48 today, when i moved to this country in 1998 a full tank was $19
i get 15-17 mpg in city & 18-24 hwy pending on speed.
I will drive this car over anything. there are simply no better ride, and i am not giving it up.

drive on[:)]

·
Registered
78 240D
56 Posts
I was livid when I had to pay $57.04 the other day to fill up!! I think I am just going to start driving my '78 300D again. I went to Costco and found that I could buy vegetable oil for about $2.50/gallon, and that would save me about 20-30 cents a gallon at these rediculous prices!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Here's to $6 a gallon gas. You guys can wave to me while I pass you up in your new ride - the bus! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I use up a half a tank each week and then fill it up. It costs me per week now about $40 from just a tad below half to full and that will give me 350kms mostly city.

Do you think thats any good? [:(]

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
For us gassers running around, would it save money to run on propane? I paid almost $60 to fill up the other day in Santa Monica.

for the diesel guys, what about recycled veggie/restaurant oil? i'd really like to get a diesel to try.

But you'll see me driving my SEC for as long as it will roll.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
These cars are too cool and fun to drive – I just consider it an entertainment expense. [:D]

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
But are you guys driving till empty??? I would be broke if I did that all the time cause I wouldnt be able to afford to put it to full every time lol. Once I get to half (end of the week) I fill it back up to full which is better for the car and tank no?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Benzonline - 4/13/2005 10:44 AM

But are you guys driving till empty??? I would be broke if I did that all the time cause I wouldnt be able to afford to put it to full every time lol. Once I get to half (end of the week) I fill it back up to full which is better for the car and tank no?
how is that saving any money? you're putting the same amount in either way.[?]

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Honestly, if you find paying for the gas is difficult, maybe you should be looking at a honda or toyota compact car. If you can't afford the gas, NO way you can afford the maintenance.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
34 Posts
I just bought a 1982 Honda Goldwing with a plush air-ride system, now I can save my 560 SEL for pure pleasure drives and ride the bike the 25mi trip in to work.... only problem is that I enjoy both of them so much, I'm not saving any gas because I'm just out there riding around a lot.[^]

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
Drive it more before they go up further[:0]

I use my c230 coupe to get the 27-32mpg and my 500sec convertible on the weekends to the beach---i fill it up about once a month if that! but i love to drive it the power and so fourth
I think it would be better to retro fit newer mor fuel efficient engines in our body types, if they didn't have so many sensors i would easily put in a new v8 or v6 for obvious reasons newer technology=better management of gas
But i still would like a m100 6.3 motor in my SEC!![:D]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I drive my 124 wagon around town which w/ a tired head and lowish compression doesn't bat an eye at 89.. I also picked up a gorgeous 92 E300D 2.5T.. Last time I had it on the highway for a long trip I avg. 33 and change:):)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
cyberdrakon - 4/14/2005 4:51 AM

If you can't afford the gas, NO way you can afford the maintenance.
I assume everyone here can afford the gas and maintenance – but maintenance prices seem to stay more stable, if you do your homework and are up for some DIY, maintenance costs can remain in check or perhaps even budgeted, provided no catastrophes manifest themselves.

But rising gas/fuel prices are an in your face, slap in the face, helpless at the pump feeling like getting robbed (and one would have to concede it does seem like highway robbery). As we pump the gas and watch the price digital display climb higher and higher, we think of all the other things we might spend that money on…

Oh well, as I noted above: an entertainment expense…

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
As a side note regarding maintance prices, the cost of parts for our cars has gone up a substantial amount in the last year+.. W/ the weakening dollar working against us in every way possible. Every time MB releases a new price list I run through some 'standards' and am amazed at the price hikes I come across.. Most notable was a 560SL seat spring.. One day it went from 300 to 1500!!! Yes, 1500 for a driver side seat spring:-/

Jonathan

41 - 60 of 67 Posts