Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC
195 Posts
$2.09 regular at Wal-Mart
$2.24 regular at Chevron

This is nothing really. I was in California last year and the prices were in the $2.80

I don't really complain. My friend's '75 Firebird only gets 6 mpg... And my '93 Land Rover Discovery only gets about 9 mpg. No idea what the 560 SEC gets. Probably about 13 or 14 mpg the way I drive it. The price for gas is worth the attention though. Plus, why would I want to drive a Honda over a Mercedes!

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,108 Posts
MBGary - 4/8/2005 10:00 PM

Why all the complaints? Up here in Canada were touching $1.00 per liter and there is 4.546 liters to a gal. as I see it I'm paying $4.55 CDN per gal. In France its $7.00 US a gal. and in Denmark $6.25 US a gal. Try the UK at $2 1/2 pounds per liter. Think the price is high now just wait, a barrel of crude is projected to top out at $125.00. The reason is supply and demand, they can pump all they want but how are they going to ship it?. All the tankers have been leased to China for the next fiscal year, there are no supply ships currently available?

Comments expected

MBGary
1 Gallon = 3.78 liters, you may be thinking of Imperial Gallon vs. US gallon (or some other whacked-out volume measurement...).[:)]

The oil market is not totally rational. Oil companies still remember 1999, when oil was $13/barrel, and 1990, when oil was $8/barrel.

If they were facing extraction costs of $15/barrel or more, those prices would hurt. Especially because investments of about $10 billion are needed to exploit new oil fields offshore or in the arctic.

The problem is that the Saudis are sitting on the world's largest reserves and have the lowest extraction costs at about $3/barrel. So even at $8/barrel they are making money while most others are losing their shirts.

If you were a large oil company, why risk $10 billion on a new oil field and a price war with the Saudis when you are getting >$50/barrel for your current output?

However, the longer prices stay at this level, the closer people are going to look at investing in new oil fields like the oil sands of Alberta, Canada, and deep offshore fields off the coast of Russia, Norway and Canada.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
MBGary - 4/10/2005 12:00 PM

Up here in Canada were touching $1.00 per liter
It sounds like you're in the same situation as we are. Currently in my neighbourhood, I'm paying $1.00 per litre. [}:)]

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
Axel

I believe we are both correct on our measurments. Question: What is a barrel of oil, how is it measured? Euro?, US?, Imperial?,and/or by weight? and just what is weight?. All I know is our prices in Canada just went to $1.15 per Liter CDN, and that's self serve!

MBGary

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts
bowdown88 - 4/9/2005 2:54 AM

... And my '93 Land Rover Discovery only gets about 9 mpg. QUOTE]
1993 Discovery? If its a 93 then its definitely illegal [:D] I think he meant 1994 Discovery. I really don't complain about the gas prices (Again just wait until its $4 a gallon) The way I look at it, gas prices just hold us down while the insurance companies empty our pockets [B)] What gets on my nerves is the fact that diesel is more expensive than even premium fuel, boggles my mind. (Diesel is less expensive to refine therefore it should be cheaper as its always been, shouldn't it?) Or is Bush using all of it to drive his trucks through the desert? [?]

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Yes...of course it's going to be harsher, but it's not that bad. Try it and if you don't like it go back.

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
Yes...of course it's going to be harsher, but it's not that bad. Try it and if you don't like it go back.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,108 Posts
MB Gary,

1 barrel of crude oil is 159 liters. Just don't ask me how that became a world standard or who came up with it.[:)]

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
hehe...

I just filled the SEC

over $8 a gallon!!! hehe, just made me press the gasspedal harder [:0]

I can't fill a full tank of gass, cuz the gas pumps only go to 1000kr, that's 'bout the same as $160, and a full tank costs about 1100kr.

HA HA HA !

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
260 Posts
I've put my 560 SEL into semi-retirement. I use the '76 Mini for my daily driver, and save the Benz for taking out customers and for long road trips. As much as I like the Mini, 4 hours on 10 inch wheels is not much fun. Last long trip to Dallas I got 18+ mpg by leaving the A/C off, and keeping my foot out of it. When you have a car that is totally paid for, you have to be driving quite a bit to justify a new smaller car. $12,000 buys a lot of gas. IF I was looking at 126's now, I'd probably opt for a diesel.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes 560SEL
578 Posts
I always fill my gas at Sam's Club. They are the cheapest. My car gives me only 12 miles a gallon within city limits and at high speeds. Outside the city, if I am driving between 40 to 60 miles an hour, the mileage is 14 miles a gallon.

Recently I found renting a car (from Thrifty) is cheaper. This works very well if you are driving long distance. The rent per day with unlimited miles is $9.99 pluz tax for Dodge Neon. All put together the car rent is $16.00. This car consumes very little gas. So it is cheaper to do this way, than driving my 560 SEL.

If I go downtown Baltimore, or downtown Washington D.C. I take the subway trains and bus. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i think i'm paying around $3.15 per gallon....and thats for regular unleaded.[:(!]

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Hey, Guys. I think some of us are missing the bigger picture here. Yes, we are paying a couple hundred $ more per month now than, say, 3 years ago. But if you worry about such $, you probably should not drive a 560 SEL. Sell it and get yourself a Neon.

Only the real rich (or real... ) people drive a real luxury car such as a 560.

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
NewMBie - 4/11/2005 12:44 PM

Hey, Guys. I think some of us are missing the bigger picture here. Yes, we are paying a couple hundred $ more per month now than, say, 3 years ago. But if you worry about such $, you probably should not drive a 560 SEL. Sell it and get yourself a Neon.

Only the real rich (or real... ) people drive a real luxury car such as a 560.
Its the harsh truth.

Diesel w126's are not that much better. 22-23mpg from a 300sdl is not "good" in today's terms especially when price for diesel is equal or greater than premium fuel cost.

·
Registered
'90 420 SEL
133 Posts
I'm car pooling twice a week with a guy to work. So Instead of driving 34 miles ( round trip ) five days a week, I only have to do it 4 times. Plus bouncing around in his 4x4 Chevy p/up makes me appreciate the 'ole Benz that much more. [:(]

·
Registered
1991 560 SEL
260 Posts
I've heard some SDL guys brag about 28mpg on the highway. Probably a long downhill stretch. My goal in splitting duties between the 126 and the little clown car is not only to save gas, but to keep the miles down on the 560 so I can keep it a little longer. I'm at 245,000 right now. I've heard the 124 diesels get up to 35 mpg highway. A used late 80's 124 might not be a bad deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW, I just started doing this to help with gas mileage and to keep the engine running longer/cleaner etc. I don't have any figures yet for mileage, but my 87' 420 SEL is running much better, quieter, smoother idle, seems to have more pick up and there is NO tailpipe odor like there was before after adding the acetone. So far, I am using 2-3oz acetone per 10 gallons of gas along with a gas additive that has lubricating properties called DFT#2000 from LVPetro.com ...... Lot's of posts about this on the internet right now. The Yahoo group is doing testing. If you do a google search for "Acetone in Fuel", lot's of forums and discussions. The original info came from the lubedev site.
This is also supposed to be good for Diesel as well.

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/tips.htm

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pes_acetone/

21 - 40 of 67 Posts