Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320 4matic
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sent my e320 in to have the A/C repaired, it was blowing warm air. It turned out to be a bad condensor. While my mechanic was doing this he noticed excessive play in the fan which is connected to the water pump. he says the water pump had a real lot of play due to a bad bushing and i was lucky it didn't fall off. i was surprised it did not leak though. Well anyways my question do you think $900 parts&labor is fair for a new water pump and condensor, oem, not aftermarket crap. My mechanic works a local Mercedes dealership but takes jobs in after hours off the clock. wonder how much it would have been had i gone officially to the dealer?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
he probably throws in the lube for free with that price. :D
no, seriously, that;'s way too much. the dealer charges like $300 for a new water pump, and like $700 to do the job+labor. but buy one from autohausaz.com for a lot less (less than $150) or ebay, and find some other mechanic to do it, shouldn't be hard. don't forget to change thermostat/upper+lower+bypass hoses since your car is 10 years old.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I had a leaking compressor on a '98 E430. Just to replace that, a few hoses/clamps, and a refill of refrigerant was close to $2000 at a dealer and no water pump.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
also did you feel the play with your hand, is it bad? it usually makes a whistling sound if a bearing is bad on the pulley. personally i tend not to trust everything the mechanic says, i usually double check if possible. they gotta make their living somehow. (no offense to anybody)

also 4maticinbedford, i didn't read your post correctly the first time, i thought the price was just for the water pump, but now that i read it again i see you mention both the water pump + ac condensor. sorry :eek: . actually i don't think is that bad, since the ac condensor i think costs over $200, but you can probably find cheaper than $900.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts