Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Parts Car.

Factor in all the parts you are going to need, the time, the value after, versus the value of the parts you can obtain in a part out.

Then compare it all to what its going to cost for a better R107, perhaps even a later model.

If your R107 was a manual, or a 280SL, or a 500SL, maybe a different story.
Thanks for your feedback, I’m definitely going down this road as far as my train of thought and after seeing the radiator support bent and thinking about the oil draining which may mean more damage than it looks I’m leaning strongly towards parts car. Probably just going to get it rolling again and leave it there but I’m definitely going to drain oil soon, replace and see what’s up with that. The engine ran very strong before so if that’s solid might be a little more worthwhile... although I’m not sure how many people want a djet if they are going to replace an engine... I feel like you’d probably just upgrade if you’re doing a swap but I don’t know enough about the parts market and whatnot.

True. I have two pretty solid 1972-1973 cars that I was able to buy as parts cars, and both are running and driving but need bunches of work. If you were closer, buying one of mine for the body would be a no-brainer.

It is strange that you would lose all your oil. Have you tried draining the oil to see if it is truly bone dry? Or maybe you just lost enough to dry the dip stick? 8+ quarts of oil is a LOT to spill on the ground. Maybe the subframe move far enough to crack the oil pan though. If that’s the case, the whole subframe comes out of the car and the AC compressor has to come off just to replace the oil pan. Lots of work.

Do you have a space you can store the car under cover so it doesn’t look like such a mess?
It is under an overhang so rain and whatnot is not an issue, it’s just this ash gets blown in the wind and lands on it no matter what but as far as a fully enclosed space, I do not. Was planning to get a car cover after the paint job, if I bring it back or when I get a nicer one. I haven’t drained all the oil, just checked the dipstick so you might be right that it’s not bone dry but if so that’s another reason to stop the restore. I got my creeper out and rolled under the car and didn’t see anything obvious so it might be higher up, in a crevice or somewhere hard to see.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,753 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, I’m definitely going down this road as far as my train of thought and after seeing the radiator support bent and thinking about the oil draining which may mean more damage than it looks I’m leaning strongly towards parts car. Probably just going to get it rolling again and leave it there but I’m definitely going to drain oil soon, replace and see what’s up with that. The engine ran very strong before so if that’s solid might be a little more worthwhile... although I’m not sure how many people want a djet if they are going to replace an engine... I feel like you’d probably just upgrade if you’re doing a swap but I don’t know enough about the parts market and whatnot.

It is under an overhang so rain and whatnot is not an issue, it’s just this ash gets blown in the wind and lands on it no matter what but as far as a fully enclosed space, I do not. Was planning to get a car cover after the paint job, if I bring it back or when I get a nicer one. I haven’t drained all the oil, just checked the dipstick so you might be right that it’s not bone dry but if so that’s another reason to stop the restore. I got my creeper out and rolled under the car and didn’t see anything obvious so it might be higher up, in a crevice or somewhere hard to see.
I was thinking more of hiding a smashed eyesore from neighbors that might complain (rather than actually protecting the car). I cover my eyesores like the cars I part out in my driveway. That makes it less obvious that I’m running some type of mechanic operation that someone would be likely to complain about. In my opinion it is smart to head that stuff off before complaints come in, because once a complaint is issued, the authorities can be relentless.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,068 Posts
I was thinking more of hiding a smashed eyesore from neighbors that might complain (rather than actually protecting the car). I cover my eyesores like the cars I part out in my driveway. That makes it less obvious that I’m running some type of mechanic operation that someone would be likely to complain about. In my opinion it is smart to head that stuff off before complaints come in, because once a complaint is issued, the authorities can be relentless.
No HOA. Neighbors don't care.
BUT, wifey gave me lots of grief ...

ZZZ_2020_09-13_003.jpg

... until I had to get rid of it before I fully harvest all the parts I wanted :)

ZZZ_2020_09-13_001.jpg

Reactions: BayAreaBenz85

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I hadn’t really thought of that but it’s a good idea. I need a cover anyways so i’m going to take your advice and order one.

I get my upper control arm tomorrow and i’m getting the oil and all that today so sometime this week, probably tomorrow or Tuesday i’ll know what my path is going to be.

·
Registered
1972 350sl 240k miles silver with blue interior. 1973 450sl
57 Posts
if you decide to fix it and the mechanicals are ok. start with a "pre-pull"of the door and fender before removing either. use a big slide hammer, large sledge, or even a chain hooked to the fender and pull it with another car. a "pre pull" is to get all the metal heading in the correct direction, don't worry about dents or cuts, just focus on getting things in line. pre-pulling will also straighten out a lot of the internal stuff.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Good news, well mostly. So I did the oil change, less than a quart in there so mostly bone dry but after putting the oil back in I noticed only a slow drip and isolated it, wiped the gunk off and it’s a tiny pinhole in the oil pan. I probably should have searched for oil pans before I claim good news as I’m not sure how easy they are to find and the cost but I could probably clean it off and find a local welder to fix it up if worse comes to worse.

Here is the best picture of the pinhole, not a good pic but it’s right where the sort of clean spot is:

It was a slow enough drip that I started her up and I wanted to see if it started gushing when the oil warmed up and also if it ran good, well... stayed a slow drip, only slightly faster when fully warmed up and ran great!

Guess I should change the title of this post cause she will be back! Now if I could only get the front most bolt off the upper control arm I could have driven around the block. Patience... and better tools I suppose.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Can anyone do me a favor and let me know if either of these oil pan part numbers work for a 72 350SL . I need to get access to an EPC but I haven’t done that yet. appreciate any help
if you have a few minutes.

116 010 29 13 1

edit: removed Vin

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,766 Posts
Can anyone do me a favor and let me know if either of these oil pan part numbers work for a 72 350SL . I need to get access to an EPC but I haven’t done that yet. appreciate any help
if you have a few minutes.

116 010 29 13 1

Vin: 10704412004646
My EPC has crashed. Next job is to re-install. However, read up about oil pan replacement. I have never done it, but I don't think it is that easy. Maybe have to remove subframe or engine?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,753 Posts
My EPC has crashed. Next job is to re-install. However, read up about oil pan replacement. I have never done it, but I don't think it is that easy. Maybe have to remove subframe or engine?
That’s correct. The engine must come out or subframe must come out, plus the AC compressor must also come off (which is its own hassle). In this scenario, I’d look at the feasibility of replacing the subframe, something that may be difficult if the subframe and frame have bent together. This is a good time to replace the subframe bushings and motor mounts.

Has the subframe already been updated with the “recall” done?

The easy solution is what’s mentioned above, drill and screw. I think that idea.

But first, clean the oil pan REALLY well. It’s possible you’ve got a long crack that’s only wide open in a small area.

I believe another member I met in person had a cracked oil pan on his 560sl and lived with an epoxy solution because of the hassle of replacing the oil pan. A replacement pan sat in his spare parts pile for years.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Ahh thanks everyone. I had no idea it was that hard but looking at the shape of the pan and how huge it is it makes a lot of sense. I’m all for an easy solution so you guys just saved me $200 and a ton of trouble.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Was thinking the same with the red but the price is good as far as what I can tell from the ad. My plan is to get this car fixed, drive it around for a bit, slap a paint job on it, sell it and buy a 560 when I find the right combo of price, color and condition. I like working on these cars though so I’ll never go for a pristine one.

What are your opinions on the paint, will I get the money out of it putting a good paint job or will I get almost as much just getting a low cost Maaco type paint job(or one of their “premium” paint jobs, def wouldn’t go for the $599 special no matter what). Since my goal is to sell it I’m not as opposed to the cheap option but since I do have a community of r107 owners to ask, what would you do in my situation?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts