Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car got totaled tonight, just happened about two hours ago. I just got her running perfect, having a nice drive and someone was going the wrong way and the car in front of me slammed on his brakes, I slammed on mine, they locked up and smash.

I won’t be on the forum for a while but when I get the funds together I’ll be buying a new one or possibly fixing this one up but it’s pretty far gone. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow and you guys can tell me what I already know.. she’s dead. Of course I just filled her up minutes before with premium.

Going to cry myself to sleep now. And to answer your question before you ask, I’m an idiot and didn’t have full coverage so It’s my fault really.

edit: spelling

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
508 Posts
Oh no! So sorry to hear that! You didn't mention if you were injured so I am going to take that as good news that you are OK - that is the important thing. Andy

·
Registered
1987 300SL
300 Posts
Damn, that's a bummer. It's always sad to see your pride and joy all bent up. If your panzerwagen is a write off the other car must have got mooshed?
And really good to hear you're ok (y)

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,291 Posts
Oh no brother, that's terrible news! The most important thing is that she kept you safe so that you get to live another day - and before you know it you'll be driving another one, keep the faith! (y)

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
7,068 Posts
Going to cry myself to sleep now. And to answer your question before you ask, I’m an idiot and didn’t have full coverage so It’s my fault really.
Ouch. Around here if you rear end someone the police automatically put you at fault no matter.
Sorry for the incident.
Just yesterday I renewed coverage on my two R107s and upped coverage on my 560SL from $10K to $15K.

BTW, have you considered parting out your SL?
SL parts command a high price if they are in nice condition.

Reactions: BayAreaBenz85

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
608 Posts
I'm sorry that you lost your "baby" last night. I know how I'd feel if I lost mine, so I have a good idea of how you're feeling right now. Glad to hear that you weren't hurt.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,753 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the situation?

I’m guessing you were not hit from behind. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,789 Posts
Bad luck mate. Another entry in the "shit happens" file:( On the bright side, the car can be replaced but you can't !

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,766 Posts
Thanks guys. yeah i’m totally fine and you’re right that’s most important.
Glad to hear that you were not injured, but really sorry about your loss. Hope insurance will cover your loss.

On the bright side - you no longer have to worry about those caliper springs ;)

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,671 Posts
Sorry to hear and glad your OK. Hate to see another 107 lost especially one of the originals.

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really appreciate all the well wishes, i’ve been sick the last few days but finally felt good enough to go out and take a little better look. on one hand i’m telling myself it’s not as bad as I thought but on the other hand i’m wondering what gremlins i’m not seeing. I’ll need to wait till tomorrow and get it on jack stands, roll under there and make sure it’s just what is shown in the pictures or if it messed up the engine or other crucial parts.

From what I can see I need a new quarter panel, maybe a door or some body work at least and trim and then control arms, shock and probably a few things I haven’t seen yet. Does anyone know if quarter panels are even an option to find without buying a complete parts car? Anyways, here are some pictures. Let me know what you guys think if it’s worth trying to build it back or should I just part out the rest of the car and save up for a new one?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,753 Posts
Dang. Looks like you almost missed it. I can’t tell from the pictures of the bumper is bent and the bumper support (and radiator support?) is bent from the pictures, but that’s what I’d be most worried about. Remove the fender and the door, and replace both. Doors are very cheap. Fenders not so much. You could probably get one that has a little bit of rust for cheap and work with it until you find a better one. Front bumpers for a 1972-1973 shouldn’t be that bad if you end up needing one. This is an expensive lesson. Get yourself some Hagerty stated value insurance before you take it out again.

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
2,291 Posts
This is a sad view but I thought it would be worse - luckily the nickname Panzerwagen passed another test!

Like Fonzi, I'd think she can be revived as long as the cost of the replacement parts / labour doesn't defeat the purpose vs. getting another project car. If you lived in Russia or any other Central / Eastern Europe country none of this would be a headache, just look what this magician can do with what once were cars:

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow that guy makes it look easy but i’m not going to kid myself and think I can do that kind of work. I’m just going to have to cost out a door and replacement fender and if those aren’t too bad I might go for it.

I’m going to put her up on jack stands and roll under and make sure that there isn’t any frame damage or anything else I didn’t see plus I’m not able to get the hood open so my mission is to also get that to pop and be able to look down in the engine bay. After the crash I didn’t see any fluids leaking but now that the car has sat for a few days there is a pool of oil so that’s concerning. Just hope the oil pan got slightly knocked and maybe needs to be replaced.

On the bright side, there may be a new rebuild thread here soon or maybe a “driving my newly purchased car home from halfway around the US” thread. We shall see. I’ll post some more pics, good or bad with what I find. Happy to hear any other opinions too. If anyone has been through a repair like this my main concern is how much can I do myself in the driveway and what am I going to need to farm out?

·
Registered
1972 350 SL
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve had some time to get under the car and look a little deeper and I’m getting more optimistic about fixing her. The one thing I need and can’t figure out is how to pop the hood. The latch doesn’t work, seems the cable got severed in the crash. It’s locked down because the front latch does nothing and i’ve made sure it’s not just like wedged shut, it appears to be latched down as normal. Does anyone know where my best route of attack should be to get the hood popped? It just seems that all the bolts and fasteners are under the hood so it doesn’t seem possible to get to anything without sawing it or something like that, which isn’t even an option as I don’t have a sawzall or power in the space it’s parked in. I didn’t think pictures would be helpful but if there is a certain area you need to see to be able to provide advice let me know and i’ll go snap a shot.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts