Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
It was Lake Isabella. Search "benzworld.org:lake isabella".
I was the impetus for that "Caper"!

I remember that lady and trying to warn Jim off of her. I have spent many, many days up at Lake Isabella, and knew the area well. We were on a 123-126 drive that ended up in the valley at some restaurant having lunch and Jim was sitting with us, when he started talking about the predicament he was in with the two cars he had bought for that woman and her daughter. I asked Jim if the
SEC was in his name or hers? He said it was in his name. I asked him if he had a key, and he said he did not.

So I told him that I used to co-own a car dealership and that we would have to repo cars all the time. I told him to take the title to any Mercedes dealership and get a duplicate key made. Then, there were several ways to snatch the car. You can grab it in the middle of the night, assuming that it is out in wind somewhere, and one is to follow her if she keeps it in a garage. Follow her out somewhere to a store, and then to grab it from the parking lot. I told him he had to notify the local Sheriff's office before hand by going in and letting them know and showing them the paperwork. I told him that I would be more than happy to accompany him and do the caper with him. At that time he and I weren't really getting along, but I did want to help him.

So he put the plan in motion. He ordered the key from Mercedes, and due to timing, David went with him and they pulled it off to a tee! I was very happy for him!

So part two of the "caper" was the recovery of the Ford Taurus from her daughter which he had bought her. That car was in her name, so he was trying to sue her for repayment of the loan. She kept evading service, but he knew where she worked, again up in Lake Isabella at a Veterinarian clinic. So again, I came up with a plan and this time I went with him. We brought Sunny, a girl I was dating then along with us as the "Messenger" and we stopped up in the Ralphs market up there for a dozen red roses. What woman doesn't love flowers I told Jim. We bought the roses and put the service papers in them, and Sunny took them into the office. She asked for the daughter and when she came out she gave her the roses and Sunny said her face lit all up, and then Sunny said "You are served!" and she said her face turned to one of shock! We left and laughed all the way home.

Good Times!

I miss you guys!

Jim and David, I hope you guys are up there racing around!

I'll see if I can post some pics of that up.

·
Registered
1982 500 SEC, 1980 280S, 1972 280SE 3.5, 1969 280SL, 1968 280S, 1950 170S
123 Posts
I really loved reading the stories and I think that is the best you can do in these circumstances. I lost my best mate of 50yrs 18 months ago to brain cancer. I've been saying for a while that I just want to get to the stage that when i think of him i feel good and think of the good times and not just deep sadness. I think its working and just thinking of them and the good times as often as you can, I reckon it the best path.

I didn't know 'David' but I certainly have known of 'Bondavi' for a very long time as one of the old guard of AMG knowledge, along with some of the other posters in this thread. A great loss.

·
Registered
420SE
359 Posts
A great loss to our w126 forum. In a better place now.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,077 Posts
Didn’t know Bondavi but losing a loved one can be traumatizing for the family. Read many posts by him, seemed like he was very knowledgeable and a great person. The good it, seems always, die young. RIP David

21 - 27 of 27 Posts