5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Racing Cascade in Mercedes heaven

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,108 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Very sad news indeed. He will be missed.

ALS is just awful.

·
Registered
WHEELER DEALER WIDEBODY 500SEC, 1971 280 SL,1994 sl320,1984 Euro AMG 500sec, 1990 Euro 560sec Yakuza
486 Posts
Good guy , wealth of knowledge, he will be missed. :(

·
Registered
1977 W116 450SEL and 1988 W126 560SEC
423 Posts
No way!!! This is so sad... May he rest in peace, he was a very knowledgeable and helpful guy.

·
Registered
1986 560SEC (Totaled 5/11) 1985 500SEC EURO
173 Posts
This is very sad to hear. You know...you come to the forum to just learn, fix or share information about your benz, but you end up admiring and highly repecting people. He was one of the many people. Rest in Peace

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,659 Posts
Oh no way! I had no idea. I thought he'd been a bit quiet recently. Dave was an old school member here and very highly regarded.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,793 Posts
Sad news indeed. He will be missed by friends and enthusiasts alike. Condolences to his family.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sad news and condolences to the family. He will be missed.

The folks over at the 500Eboard have also created a "tribute" thread to Bondavi.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,231 Posts
Very sad news and condolences to David's family
David was a such great guy and we kept in regular contact via email over the years with me living on the other side of the globe.
David told me about the diagnosis early in Nov 2018 and that he was given between 1-3 yrs to live.
I was shocked and guttered. David asked that i keep the news quiet and i respected his wishes.
He kept me updated and it was so hard hearing of his deterioration but we focussed on positive stuff and both our mad obsessive addiction and passion for the W126
RIP Bondavi

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,990 Posts
I, like so many others, was touched by David's friendship, knowledge, generosity, kindness and guidance for over 12 years. I met him on here when I first joined up and we quickly became good friends. I too knew early on of his illness and respected his wishes to keep it quiet. David was a very personal man, and I know few knew him like I did. When I wanted to do my ECE conversion on my coupe, David didn't just advise me, he found me the engine, pulled it from the junkyard, and basically gave it to me, along with many, many other valuable parts and ultimately a whole 'nother SEC because my SEL took a crap. David and I talked daily during my epic 2 year build, and he, along with Mapearso, got me through that build and helped me keep my sanity.

I remember during the middle of the build, David asked me if I was going to remove the ASR from my car as I had never had gotten it to work. I told him "No, I'm just going to disable it best I can". We he copy and pasted me a screen shot of me saying on here that "If I ever take out my motor, I'm going to rip the G-D Damn ASR out!" Well I wanted to but didn't really know how. Well David pointed me in the right direction and suffice to say, that's how I know there are 11 wiring harnesses in a 1991 SEC! Yes it was remove and I know he was the proudest of how that car turned out and it was all due to him.

When Jim was dying of brain cancer and his SEC like mine had caught fire, it was David who came to the rescue and rebuilt Jim's SEC to factory specs, brought it to Jim's house just days before he passed, and showed it to Jim. Shortly after that, Jim slipped into a coma. David called me up and told me Jim was close to passing, and urged me to come up when I could. I was on a plane within 2 hours. David put me up and gave me his 500E to go up to Jim's and it turned out Jim passed about 3 hours after I left. David took me to the train station and let me know when Jim had passed. That was the last time I would see David. I left for D.C. not long after that.

But David made Jim's last wish come true.

He made my dream come true of my AMG SEC too. IDK who was more proud of that car, he or I. He had so much input into it and contributed so much into her. He came down several times from the Sacramento area to Los Angeles to help me with various hurdles I had to overcome. He made REALLY difficult things seem so easy, and was so generous with his time and knowledge. More than anyone I know.

I know that he did find true love with his wife Lauren. I just wish they could have had so many more years together. He was so happy with her. I could feel him glowing through the phone.

If there is an after life, I know that he and Jim are racing down the I-5 at triple digit speeds like they used to! Those were fun times! I miss them.

I miss him!

I love you David, Rest in Peace my friend!

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
211 Posts
All heartfelt replies to this sad news and condolences for the family. We all benefited from his generosity and knowledge, including me. ALS is the worst for him and the family.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,752 Posts
That is really sad news he had to leave so early, RIP David. We emailed each other just a few weeks ago, after the big move to Menifee SoCal.
A few of us knew his prognosis early on, but were hoping he had more time left.
He was very happy to have found Lauren.
No longer with us Jim aka Cascade and David were also quite close. From the Euro ex Japan 560SEC David found in OC and drove up here with, with the crazy AMG dash board with to driver angled TV, some of us got to check out in the Jerry's Deli parking, to the nice GTG we all had at sportmen's lodge (both Studio City) when Ross aka 420 SE visited from Down Under and members from all over CA and Nevada drove in.
I would like to join all of you who knew David in the hope that he and Jim are happily talking cars in some parallel universe as I write this.

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,319 Posts
My deepest sympathies to his family and those here who knew and loved him.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Wow, what a great friend was Bondavi!!! Amazing guy and he's gone, much too soon. Great write-up, Mike C. We're going to miss him...a lot. Sad day, this.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,725 Posts
My deepest condolence to David's family. While it is little consolation, he helped many around the world without even meeting them face to face. I can only imagine how much he enriched the lives of those he got to interact with him personally on a daily basis. Rest in Peace.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,752 Posts
Reminds me to look for that epic 560SEC repossession caper thread of Jim and David around Lake Isabella.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts