Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put on my winter rims and tires. I noticed a noise coming from the rear of the truck, around the wheels. It speeds up and slows down with the sed of the vehicle, sounds like a metallic ringing noise. My brakes are low as the sensor is coming on, on the dash but the noise doesnt cease when I hit the brakes. Im doing my new pads soon, so that will rule that out. I could swear that when I engage and release the parking brake, that it ceases for a little and comes back. I changed the parking brake shoe about 30k miles ago and I never use it so I dont think its that. I changed the Main driveshaft bearing about 15k ago, but so Im hoping its not that again. I use 10mm spacers but they seem intact and the winter wheels use hubcentric rings but everything went on smoothly. Im going to put hte truck up on jack stands and see if I can identify the noise a little better this weekend but it has to be something from the wheels or the driveshaft as its a sound that is in synch with the speed of the wheels turning, it speeds up when I speed up etc etc. Any ideas or suggestions that Im missing? Could it still be from the worn brakes even though press thing doesnt affect it?

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Wheel bolts are not too long? I just run into similar noise after installing new wheels/tires on my E320. Bolts shipped with new wheels ware 1mm too long. They ware hitting shackle that spreads parking brake shoes.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
I agree with Witek - since spacer is still on hub, you are using the bolts that came with the bigger wheels. They are longer than the OEM bolts. I think that the spacer will have to come off to use the OEM bolts. You may consider moving spacer to the wheel because if you ever have a flat with the new wheels on, you may be stuck since the OEM spare works with only OEM length bolts.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have different lugs that I use with these wheels as the ones that I use with the 20s are too short for these for some reason, and the OEMS are too short to use with either. That would make a lot of sense as thats really the only thing that changed since I added the winter wheels and it wasnt doing that before. Is it possible to see how far the bolts come through hub with the wheel on if i poke my head up in there, underneath the truck, and see if its hitting? Im checking it out tomorrow. Thanks a ton guys!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I agree with Witek - since spacer is still on hub, you are using the bolts that came with the bigger wheels. They are longer than the OEM bolts. I think that the spacer will have to come off to use the OEM bolts. You may consider moving spacer to the wheel because if you ever have a flat with the new wheels on, you may be stuck since the OEM spare works with only OEM length bolts.
Wow thanks for that tip, I never thought of that issue with the spare, I should keep 5 OEM lugs on me just in case that happened. Very good observation. Im not using my OEM wheels for the winter, I sold my OEMS, I have Momo 17s that i got, and they use longer lugs then the 20s use.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
I have different lugs that I use with these wheels as the ones that I use with the 20s are too short for these for some reason, and the OEMS are too short to use with either. That would make a lot of sense as thats really the only thing that changed since I added the winter wheels and it wasnt doing that before. Is it possible to see how far the bolts come through hub with the wheel on if i poke my head up in there, underneath the truck, and see if its hitting? Im checking it out tomorrow. Thanks a ton guys!
Take one bolt out and stick a screw driver until you make contact with brake hardware. Mark screw driver at bolt/wheel interface. Measure length and compare with that of bolt - note that bolt interface may be either conical or spherical, so you may have to do some trial/error to get it right.

Or, take wheel off, mar brake hardware with chalk, remount wheel - use only three bolts, for example - rotate wheel. If you hear noise, dismount wheel and check for marring on chalk.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again. You guys are freaks with these trucks. And I mean that in a good way.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had to do it again, I would have hung onto the oem rims for the winter. At the time I planned on using the 20s year round, since I got such a great deal on them. But after I while, I ended up wanting to keep them out of the Northeast US rough winter weather and snow and salt, after I sold the OEMs I ended up with a nice set of 20s for like $400 cost. I couldnt find an affordable set of OEM AMG rims, plus I figured 17s gave me a better choice of snow tire, were pretty cheap, and were a good quality MOMO rim made for the winter weather. Plus narrower wheels are better in the snow, so the 17x7s were perfect with the Speed rated Vredestein Wintrac performance snows. But then I had to spend extra on custom cut lugs cause the ones I had for the 20s were too short for them. And now this issue, didnt really make sense in the long run to sell the OEMS and buy the 17s, not even price wise. Oh well, its not that bad. I just got to get this right, hope it isnt a major pain the butt. Im not sure if I need the lugs recut, if I should just get them all done that length to keep things simple. I think Im going to figure out how much shorter I need to go and get premade ones in the closest length they make to what I need. Im doing my brake pads this week anyways so Ill have the wheels off regardless so not a big deal I guess.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could I use a washer right after the lug head to shorten the space taken by the lug if I need to shorten them a small amount instead of getting the lugs cut or have to buy new lugs or is this not advised?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Not advised...

Washers are highly not advised... glad you are able to idnetify the problem, once you find the correct spec don't forget to search for pre-made from the right source..

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Im not positive yet, but it makes sense. The only thing I changed before the noise started was my winter wheels and the lugs that I use with them. Im going to take a closer look tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Well Im not positive yet, but it makes sense. The only thing I changed before the noise started was my winter wheels and the lugs that I use with them. Im going to take a closer look tomorrow.
Don't use washers - just asking for more trouble. Besides, the bolt head is either conical or spherical and you are not going to find the appropriate washer. If I were you, I would go to TireRack and purchase a set of winter wheel/tire package for the truck and problem will be resolved. I suggest this because I estimate that by the time you are done with trying to fix this issue, you would probably have spent enough to buy a set of winter wheels from The Rack.

Other Possible Solution
You currently have 17x7 wheels on the truck, ...right? You have the wheel offset? Should be stamped on the wheel
If you can get the spacers off the hub, you may be able to use OEM bolts on the 17x7 with no issues - you'd have to purchase OEM bolts.

We will work you into an acceptable solution soon.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I did get a set of winter rims from Discount tire express, that is what the 17x7s are. The only reason I have to use the spacers are to clear the front brakes, which they do fine with the spacers. I still have my OEM lugs, but like I said the front needs the spacer. I ran these rims last winter, but I didnt notice this sound last year. I could have just not noticed it, its possible. It is also possible that the noise is coming from something else, although it would be odd for me to just have noticed it just after i put the winter wheels on, i didnt notice it right off the bat, like a day later. I could possibly have them tightened down more then last year and that extra thread or two im grabbing is just enough to nick something. I may try to remove the spacer, just in the rear and see if the OEM lugs or the lugs that I use with the 20s, which are shorter then the ones I use with the winters, do the trick. I had the lugs custom cut for these rims when i got them by a wheel shop, and they are a pretty good shop and i wouldnt think they would have left the lugs too long, although its definitely possible. At this point though, buying a whole new set of wheels doesnt make sense, i should try to resolve the issue. Last resort would be to my indy mechanic, who is my cousin, to get it up on the lift and figure it out for me. Im going to do my brake pads tomorrow so Ill get a chance to get a closer look at everything and at least rule the lugs out if thats not the issue. Thanks again for the reply.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, Once I took the wheel off I could actually see how the lug was marring the little spring that was behind the nuts, part of the parking break. I realized I need a lug nut that was about 4 or 5 thread shorter, so I went over to the speed shop that I usually goto, I knew the owner pretty well, and he found the exact lugs I needed, and swap me ten of mine for ten of the ones I needed for the 2 rear wheels. Works perfectly now. Problem solved. Still amazing how Witek diagnosed it immediately. Guy must be part cyborg or something. Thanks again fellas, you guys were a huge help. I was losing sleep over this noise at night, started to OCD over it real bad. It was totally messing with my vibe.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dually noted. thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts