Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found nothing is search to answer my question:
do the stock rims have a protective coating on them. i noticed today that there appears to be bubbling on two rims, like the coating is coming loose in spots. is this normal? can i just pull the rest off without damaging the rims? [:I]
thankx

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
barndogz - 4/6/2005 5:39 PM

i found nothing is search to answer my question:
do the stock rims have a protective coating on them. i noticed today that there appears to be bubbling on two rims, like the coating is coming loose in spots. is this normal? can i just pull the rest off without damaging the rims? [:I]
thankx
Clearcoat on my AMG's starting to peel too. I am going to have them redone.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankx for the info...........so, is this something i need on my rims? what purpose does it serve?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The coating is supposed to protect the aluminum alloy from corrosion.

Unfortunetly if the coating gets damaged, water can get underneath and cause filliform (sp?) corrosion.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: The coating is supposed to protect the aluminum alloy from corrosion.

thankx. is it usually costly to have it repaired/fixed? i've never noticed it on any other car.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
From what's been reported here and from what I've seen ...

You're looking at from $85 to $150 a wheel to repair. Costs vary so much around the country that it's hard to nail down a local price for you. Check the phone book, there should be one or two places listed, give 'em a call.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: From what's been reported here and from what I've seen ...

thankx. i guess that's cheaper than replacing the rims........

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
You betcha ... !!!

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
apparently they are "diamond cut" or something, which is quite brittle. I just had my wheels re-furbished and the workshop recommeneded that I didn't go for the diamond-cut effect as chances are it would crack again.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Repairing is much cheaper than replacing. On the other hand if you are thinking about replacing your rims at some point now might be a good time to get them and sell your rims. You will have saved the money in repairs plus have the money the sale of your rims generates.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
Was that just for the clear coat, or were they going to clean up the damage as well?

For just painting, that's a good price. If that was to repair minor damage, That's a fantastic price... [:D][:p]

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RE: Was that just for the clear coat, or were they going to clean up the damage as well?

thankx for all the input.

·
Registered
'99 SLK230, '98 ML320, '06 ML350
41 Posts
My rims were messed up after a local shop banged up the finish on all 4 wheels changing my tires...plus some previous damage from another shop, and about 5 years of average driving. The finish starts to oxidize after the seal is broken and it looks horrible as it creeps along. It only gets worse with time.

Someone on the board (430) suggested these guys:

http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa_canada/us_locations_indiana.shtml

They have local dealers that will drive to your house, place of business, etc, and repair the wheels RIGHT THERE. Virtually no down time. I had them come to the shop and they put my car up on the rack and did all four wheels at the same time. They got there after lunch and were finished by close of business. I did have to wait until the next morning to make sure the finish was fully dried.

The final outcome looks great, and the whole bill ran $450. The shop begrudgingly paid it - long story there...

HTH,
Chester

·
Registered
99 E300TD/02 SLK230K
152 Posts
It seems like for 800 you could pik up another set of rims? I remember someone posted *I think Cixi* the double spoke AMG's for $800.

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chester - 4/7/2005 10:26 PM

My rims were messed up after a local shop banged up the finish on all 4 wheels changing my tires...plus some previous damage from another shop, and about 5 years of average driving. The finish starts to oxidize after the seal is broken and it looks horrible as it creeps along. It only gets worse with time.

Someone on the board (430) suggested these guys:

http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/usa_canada/us_locations_indiana.shtml

They have local dealers that will drive to your house, place of business, etc, and repair the wheels RIGHT THERE. Virtually no down time. I had them come to the shop and they put my car up on the rack and did all four wheels at the same time. They got there after lunch and were finished by close of business. I did have to wait until the next morning to make sure the finish was fully dried.

The final outcome looks great, and the whole bill ran $450. The shop begrudgingly paid it - long story there...

chester; thankx for the tip. it looks like they are located in my home state

HTH,
Chester
[:D]

·
Registered
2000 slk230 Komp
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KishanShah - 4/7/2005 10:58 PM

It seems like for 800 you could pik up another set of rims? I remember someone posted *I think Cixi* the double spoke AMG's for $800.

even $800 is more than i want to spend right now [V]
but i have to do something, it looks like hell

1 - 19 of 19 Posts