Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 280 CE. The original rims that were 14" bundt rims were extremly
pitted and leaked. I was able to purchase brand new 15" flat face Mercedes rims (take offs) and put them on the car. I don't think the match of the rim to the rotor is proper and don't think the car is safe. What can I do to correct the problem, and does anyone know where I can get a used set of Chrome bundt rims that belong on the car ? Please help.
[email protected] or call 312 593 2900 Thanks

·
Registered
85 580CE 5-speed
41 Posts
DAVID LINDBERG said:
I have a 1980 280 CE. The original rims that were 14" bundt rims were extremly
pitted and leaked. I was able to purchase brand new 15" flat face Mercedes rims (take offs) and put them on the car. I don't think the match of the rim to the rotor is proper and don't think the car is safe. What can I do to correct the problem, and does anyone know where I can get a used set of Chrome bundt rims that belong on the car ? Please help.
[email protected] or call 312 593 2900 Thanks
You can pick up a set of Bundts at most any euro wrecking yard. They probably won't want too much fot a set. Refinishing can be a bit painstaking, but is generally easy enough. If you want to keep the 15's you bought you'll have to get a set of hub-centric spacers in a thickness sufficient to correct for the greater offset of the non-stock wheels. A set of quality spacers will set you back as much as another set of Bundts. Whatever you do, DO NOT simply run to your local auto parts store and buy off-the-shelf "universal" spacers. Such spacers are genuinely dangerous on MB automobiles, which have hub-centric wheels and require spacers of that type as well. Some will tell you not to use spacers at all. Good quality spacers, however, are nothing to be afraid of, as they essentially become a part of the wheel. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
You should be able to find a set of bundt rims between the salvage yards and Ebay. If all else fails, I might be able to be persuaded to sell my extra pair. I don't really want to sell them though, so try exhausting all your other options first.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
Adsitco sells them for around $225 each. I just saw an e-bay special they are running - $800 for four (plus shipping).

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Good used ones are plentiful and cheap...try to find them local to you as shipping may be as much as the value of the wheels. But thats just a wild guess. I've never tried to ship a set. But look close as there are 3 different variations of width and offset. That will be stamped on the rim. SO you don't end up with a mixxed set.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Those new bundts for $800 are immitations. I'm sure they look the same, but why pay $800 for fakes when you can get originals for much less.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
But they're brand new, no curb rash, no rock chips, no caked on brake dust around the lug holes or valve stem.

If you can find me a set of perfect chrome bundts for $200, I sure would appreciate it because mine are pretty scratched up.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I'm not sayin used one's are perfect, but by all means buy the fakes for $800 if you want perfect rims. I wouldn't spend $800 for rims for any car. Besides, if you know what you're doing, you can recondition the old bundts and make them look as good as new; even the scratches can be masked well enough that you can't see them without looking hard. I certainly don't think David wants to spend $800 on the fakes, otherwise he wouldn't be asking us for advice.

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,162 Posts
True, he did say used.

Unfortunately there is no reconditioning chrome bundts. They won't re-chrome them. You can SOS pad them until they are totally clean, but any curb rash is there to stay. The alloy bundts you can paint and they look nice again. You can have alloys chromed, but that again is $250 per wheel.

On my right front wheel, I have a place where it looks like acid sat and ate away at it. The chrome is just GONE. All four wheels have curb rash. (The chrome is chipped off the lip.) I suppose that mirrachrome spray might be something to try, but I wouldn't bank on it being anywhere near as good as new.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,181 Posts
I will sell you used 14" rims for 50 bucks...all four with lugs...if you want me to sand blast them and paint them it will be more - but to move them i will consider it...

Jake

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Gregs300CD said:
True, he did say used.

Unfortunately there is no reconditioning chrome bundts. They won't re-chrome them. You can SOS pad them until they are totally clean, but any curb rash is there to stay. The alloy bundts you can paint and they look nice again. You can have alloys chromed, but that again is $250 per wheel.

On my right front wheel, I have a place where it looks like acid sat and ate away at it. The chrome is just GONE. All four wheels have curb rash. (The chrome is chipped off the lip.) I suppose that mirrachrome spray might be something to try, but I wouldn't bank on it being anywhere near as good as new.

DUH, I was thinking painted alloys.

EDIT: Just noticed you brought back the Pink Floyd hammers, awesome.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Unfortunately that is the bane of chromed alluminum rims in general.

Chrome is porous...moisture gets to the underlying aluminum that corrodes and the chrome falls away...

Old school Cragar mags suffered this as anyone who had them can attest to. Chrome looks sweet but unless you live in an arrid climate chromed bundt rims are on borrowed time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts