Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450sl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all- I bought my '79 SL with these rims and i'd like to sell them. I restored the SL and put the Bundt Cake style rims on. Three of the 4 rims are in pretty good shape- the 4th is starting to flake. To be pristene they'd need to all be re- chromed, but would work as - is as a 2nd set.

Not sure what they are worth- so am open to offers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 240D
48 Posts
offset?

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
Centra rims:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
Measure ET yourself

With the rims off the car without tires, measuring offset is easy.

All you need is a good straight-edge long enough to span the width of the rim laying face down. Perhaps a 24" level or a 24" steel rule would do. The only other thing you need is an accurate ruler or tape measure.

See picture - Place straight-edge across the rim and take a careful measurement from the underside of the straight-edge to the wheel mounting surface, (Measurement #1 is the "Back-set").

Next simply measure the total width of the rim, outside of rim to outside of rim. (measurement #2)

Divide Measurement #2 by 2 to get the "Calculated Center Line" of the wheel.

Offset = Backset minus the Calculated Center line measurement

Subtract #2 from #1 and you have offset in inches, then multiply by 25.4 and you have mm's....

The better your straight-edge and the better your measurements are, the more accurate calculation you'll get for the offset.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 450sl
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the rims off the car without tires, measuring offset is easy.

All you need is a good straight-edge long enough to span the width of the rim laying face down. Perhaps a 24" level or a 24" steel rule would do. The only other thing you need is an accurate ruler or tape measure.

See picture - Place straight-edge across the rim and take a careful measurement from the underside of the straight-edge to the wheel mounting surface, (Measurement #1 is the "Back-set").

Next simply measure the total width of the rim, outside of rim to outside of rim. (measurement #2)

Divide Measurement #2 by 2 to get the "Calculated Center Line" of the wheel.

Offset = Backset minus the Calculated Center line measurement

Subtract #2 from #1 and you have offset in inches, then multiply by 25.4 and you have mm's....

The better your straight-edge and the better your measurements are, the more accurate calculation you'll get for the offset.
Wow! thank you for the detailed tutorial! The rims are at my rental house, so might be a while before i get to measuring them. They came off my 79 450sl- what are you thinking of puting them on?

thanks,

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
No need to measure. The picture shows the wheel stamped 14x6x35. So the ET or offset is 35, diameter is 14 and the width is 6.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,978 Posts
Good catch

No need to measure. The picture shows the wheel stamped 14x6x35. So the ET or offset is 35, diameter is 14 and the width is 6.
I looked at that picture quickly, but didn't see, if ya know what I mean...

ET 35 sounds a little high for a 107 wheel, but I guess since they are narrow it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts