Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW 540i
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new S55 on order and am wondering what people's experience have been with 19 vs 20 inch rims. I've heard from one owner that his 20" rims have given him some trouble (bending or having the tire roll) due to the high performance nature of the vehicle. I am definitely going to upgrade the rims on it so any experience would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance to the group.

Dave Wirta

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the difference between 19" rims and 20" rims lies in your personality and drivin...

I think the difference between 19" rims and 20" rims lies in your personality and driving habits. I love how the 20" rims look on the S and CL's. But I would have to put probably 35 and 30 series tires on them which means the roads I drive better be railroad and pothole free for risk of damaging the rim. Add to that my back that gets sore every now and then and thats why I have 18" rims.

My neighbor has 20" rims on his S class though and has not had any problems. I may buy his rims before he sells his car.

·
Registered
380SL,560SEL,S600
87 Posts
During the short time I owned my SL55 with AMG rims R18, I bent the drivers side rim twice...

During the short time I owned my SL55 with AMG rims R18, I bent the drivers side rim twice. On the other hand, My S-Class has a sport Package on it. I have not had any trouble. Then again, the SL AMG's are low profile tires. ...If that helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a new S55 on order and am wondering what people's experience have been with 19 vs 20 inch rims. I've heard from one owner that his 20" rims have given him some trouble (bending or having the tire roll) due to the high performance nature of the vehicle. I am definitely going to upgrade the rims on it so any experience would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance to the group.

Dave Wirta
Hi Dave, if you're upgrading your rims, are you going to sell the original rims that comes with an S55? Email me for details please. Thanks

·
Registered
S55Kompressor
9 Posts
I'd be careful with larger rims and tyres

You can get AMG 19" rims now which are being used for the new S65. Shown on the SL55
http://www.amg-owners-club.org/board/en/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=136&sid=

and these rims, also gives recommended tyre sizes 245 front 265 or 275 rear

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/omb/amg/e/fitting/s-klasse/leichtmetall.htm

From the AMG owner site

"Even with the AMG 19" wheels require modifications for 19" wheels in detail:
To satisfy german safety standards, you need to make some room for the rear wheels by bending the body a little bit. For the front wheels, you have to shorten some bolts as well.

If you don't and drive fast for a longer time (like people do on the autobahn), the wheels might come in contact with the body. Maybe these modifications aren't carried out in the US, because you are not supposed to drive 130+ mph for an hour, but there is still a safety issue on fitting 19" and 20" wheels to US cars that seems to be often ignored."

Also unless done properly larger wheel and tyre combos can often make your handling worse not better.

I drove a guy's M3 which he had lowered with new springs and put new 19" wheels with wider tyres 245's at the front and 275's on the rear, my standard M3 car had 225s and 255s and handled better. I have seen the same thing at track days unless it's done properly you can spend a lot of money and make your car perform worse or not much better.

Each to thier own but for best performance I would stick with the AMG rims 18" rims or the 19"s

Good luck choosing

·
Registered
2004 Carrera 4S
448 Posts
i've already gone thru 2 tires with the stock 18' new AMG rims

i hate potholes!
i've already gone thru 2 tires with the stock 18' rims. argh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts