Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'12 E350 w/pano roof
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear my car was built on a haunted Indian burial ground. Four months ago I ran over a tire on the frwy causing $4k in damage. A month after it was all fixed one of my foglights was shattered. And now some stupid kid on a skateboard trying to do tricks slammed his board into my rim. The impact scraped the face, broke off a portion of the star and took out a giant chunk of the rim. Anybody have experience with rim repair or is it cheaper to just find a replacement?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
Thats too bad,

It can be fixed, I have had wheels repaired on my wifes cars several times. $125 to $250. If you want it done the right way, have them remove the tire from the rim for the repair. :thumbsup:

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,911 Posts
ouch, skateboard did that? anyway that still can be repair, repolished and repainted normally professional wheel shop charged from $120 - $150 (that includes re-mounting and rebalance)

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Jesster.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the only concern I'd have is the damage to the lip, that's a stress point from the bead mounting. I think I'd take it to a wheel shop (even one that specializes in repairs is fine) and get their professional opinion.

Wheel repairs on these alloys are cosmetic only, so if there is even the hint of a possibility of a structural issue (such as a hairline crack, etc.) then you definitely want to replace that wheel. A failure at speed from a precipitating crack would lead to catastrophic failure -- such as "wheel disintegration" -- and probably place YOU in that indian burial ground, and that's a bad day for all of us... but mostly you.

So get it looked at and go with their recommendation. You can find replacements pretty cheaply, they're on Craigslist and Ebay all the time.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see you live in Torrance. There is a wheel shop in Gardena called Bolton Classic Wheels that can probably help you. There is also Mag Masters in Orange County that does a good job also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts