Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just picked up an 83 300TD for my daughter to drive (safe, solid car). It has one problem I haven't been able to find an easy answer for by searching the net.

It has 4 15" centra rims but one has a slow leak from the valve stem. I'm told this isn't uncommon after awhile. Apparently these rims aren't easy to find (did find a replica set for $899, yikes!).

At this point, I just want four matching rims that hold air - the centras are nice but...I'll take the most economical option at this point. It appears the "bundt" type rims are most common. What I can't seem to figure out is what would be the easiest most available rim to get. Do I have to have 15" rims? Would any 14" set of bundts work or do they differ? Am I correct that I have the w123 body?

Thanks for any assistance - if I can fix this issue we'll be good to go (except for the leak into the trunk despite all my silicone around the window, but that's another story!)

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,428 Posts
The car came with 14's. Call a few salvage yards, the 14" Bundts are very common. I wouldn't spend more than $200 for a set of 4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'll be on the lookout for a set of 14" bundts. Car is actually a 300SD turbo, though I don't think that changes anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I took it to a wheel place and the guy put on a special valve stem. It actually held air for about 6-8 weeks, but now it's just every 2 weeks.

I may try a tire place one more time - have them pull the tire off and tighten that stem. (Maybe put some silicon around it?). I'm not too optimistic about this being a permanent fix though which is why I'm investigating rims/wheels.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,706 Posts
No silicon. That might hold for some time and than go without warning. There are several types of valve steams and something has to work on your wheel, unless the wheel is badly corroded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some updated info., though I don't expect it will change anything. The rims are actually 16". The leaking one is due to the hole for the stem not being quite round. I had a better rubber fitting put in today and did put a bit of silicon on it. It seems to be holding for now, but we'll see.

I'm guessing the 16's aren't easy to find seeing as a net search doesn't yield much. Browsed a couple salvage yards today, but no luck.

May have to go with the bundts, but not quite ready to give up. Anyway, thanks for the help. Any tips on finding a replacement, let me know!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Your location would be helpful. Might be a handful of forum members in your area with spare wheels, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I am near Los Angeles - in a city called Torrance.

I see 4 of these for auction near by. I have a request in to the seller in case he's willing to sell just one.

Have one more parts yard to check next week too.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Oh, I am near Los Angeles - in a city called Torrance.

I see 4 of these for auction near by. I have a request in to the seller in case he's willing to sell just one.

Have one more parts yard to check next week too.
Check CL for a seller in Garden Grove. He's got a warehouse full of wheels. He often posts on CL san diego auto parts. He may actually have a centra wheel for you.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Okay, I'll be on the lookout for a set of 14" bundts. Car is actually a 300SD turbo, though I don't think that changes anything.

Thanks.
Actually it does.

The 300SD is a W126 and W126 use wider wheels and larger tires than W123.

You'll want the proper wheels for a W126.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have some updated info., though I don't expect it will change anything. The rims are actually 16". The leaking one is due to the hole for the stem not being quite round. I had a better rubber fitting put in today and did put a bit of silicon on it. It seems to be holding for now, but we'll see..........
I"m sure it will be fine - just drive it, make sure you have a decent spare and wheel change gear, and stop worrying. if it goes again, maybe then get back to the worrying, which still be there waiting for you if you need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts