Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Bad the new price is $7.90 free shipping on orders over $50.00 so get an extra window bushing/slider and your normal maintenance items all at the same time.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=xultknyhfxc0dl55jvx0nuim&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=1999&[email protected], Trim & Lighting&[email protected] Regulator Bushing/Repair Kit

If you own a W210 it is not a question of "if" the rear window regulator/slider will fail but when. You can count on it, further more if one fails the other will fail, as usual at the worst possible time.
Well first things first, I would like to thank all that went before me
posting information, pics, part numbers and DIY tips concerning the rear window regulator in the W210. I would encourage any one attempting a repair to look over a few other DIY posts, here are some good ones.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1332991-kajtek1-window-regulator-question.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1226700-diy-pictorial-window-regulator-replacement.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1394253-2001-e320-rear-windows-problem-help.html

OK so I was holding down on what I thought was the trunk release on my key it takes awhile to open, but in reality it was the unlock button and the windows and sunroof started to open. Then crash bang boom
I knew what had happened and luckily was prepared for it. I had an extra green bushing/slider.
DCP40934.jpg
It will be necessary to lift the glass to the UP/closed position and tape it securely. The last thing you want is the glass sliding down while you are trying to remove the regulator. Think guillotine the sheet metal has sharp edges too so be careful.
DCP40935.jpg
This is the door panel in a 1999 E class and may be different than other model years, The 2000 on may have an air bag in the door panel and more fasteners than what is depicted here.
DCP40936.jpg
Un screw the lock knob
DCP40937.jpg
Gently pry the finish cup from around the door handle.
DCP40938.jpg

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The plastic finish cup will pop off quite easily once the first clip comes loose.
DCP40939.jpg
Remove the plastic frame for the door latch mechanism, #2 Phillips. screw driver.
DCP40940.jpg
Remove the screw at the door latch handle, #2 Phillips screw driver.
DCP40941.jpg
Remove the finish plug under the arm rest.
DCP40942.jpg
Remove screw in the arm rest, #2 Phillips screw driver.
DCP40943.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The next step is to pop loose the plastic retainers in the lower half of the door. You need to take great care doing this, you don't want broken clips or broken clip mounts. To start gently try to separate the door panel from the door at the bottom, then slip a pry device in-between the door and panel, the trick here is to get the pry device as close to the clip as possible before you apply any force. When you do pry it apart try to do so a little at a time and move to the next closest clip and keep working the pry around the lower half of the door panel till all clips are free.
DCP40944.jpg
Two or three times prying around the lower part of the door panel should be enough to free up all the clips.
DCP40945.jpg
The door panel will now be hanging on the clips at the window sill. To free it up, lift at the rear, take your time, as it may seem stuck, keep moving up and down, it will come loose. When it is free don't try to move it too far there are wires and cables connected to the panel.
DCP40947.jpg
Disconnect the Door latch cable, it just un-hooks. You can disconnect all the wires and move the panel to a safe place. OR
DCP40948.jpg
I disconnected the window switch and temporarily taped the panel in the door jam.
DCP40949.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To peel back the plastic, I found that a quick pull had a better result than a slow pull (stretched plastic) you don't have to remove it completely. If it dose tear, use a good quality tape to repair it.
DCP40950.jpg
The next step is to drill the rivet heads off, no need to drill them out. All you are after is to remove the head and not enlarge the original hole. I used a 1/4 inch bit in a standard 3/8 drill. There are 4 rivets in my regulator, two in the bottom
DCP40952.jpg
One by the regulator motor.
DCP40953.jpg
One at the top, by the locking pawl, (the pawl will hold up the regulator up)
DCP40954.jpg
Disconnect the wires to the regulator motor. Pinch the top and bottom to get it to release.
DCP40955.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now you will need a light to look up in the door and see the attachment to the aluminum extrusion on the door glass. In the bottom of the aluminum extrusion is a black plastic lock, remove this. I have a pic of the black plastic lock taken with the window down here,
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1400231-right-rear-window-regulator-slider-crash-2.html#post3083298
DCP40956.jpg
In this step you may need a helper to move the door glass (un-tape it hold it and re-tape it) while you lift and unhook the pawl and wiggle the slider out of the aluminum extrusion on the door glass. Once it is free withdraw it from the door. (At this point if you bought a complete regulator you can swap the motor and re-install.)
DCP40957.jpg
Here are my broken parts, found in the bottom of the door. Save these parts you need to reuse some of them!!!
DCP40958.jpg
This is the replacement part (green only)
DCP40959.jpg
Check your cable, mine was off the spool and wrapped around the drive shaft.
DCP40960.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
To re-spool my cable I had to remove the motor.
DCP40961.jpg
The cable back in place, I will leave the motor off so that I can check operation with new slider installed. This is a good time to remove any parts of the mount rivets left on the regulator mounts, just use pliers to grab the back side of the rivets and pull them out. You can see one in this pic to the left they will come out easy.
DCP40962.jpg
Time to disassemble the new part (all we need is the green part).
DCP40963.jpg
Ahh Break Time.......
DCP40584.JPG
Center punched the rivet to drill its head off.
DCP40965.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After this picture was taken I removed the white plastic piece so that I could clamp the rivet in the vise to continue drilling the head off.
DCP40966.jpg
Done taking the green slider apart, now we need to take the metal parts off the old slider, they will be reused.
DCP40967.jpg
Center punch the old rivet, make sure it is dead center. If you have a drill press it would come in handy in the next step.
DCP40968.jpg
***IMPORTANT*** You must drill a 1/8 inch hole dead center in the rivet of the old slider. Great care should be taken to bore the rivet perpendicular and on center. This part will be reused.
DCP40969.jpg
Test fit a 1/8 inch Dia X 3/8 reach, steel pop rivet, should be a nice snug fit.
DCP40970.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here we have removed the rivets head after boring it. The metal piece can be removed from the rivet now.
DCP40971.jpg
The green slider requires a little touch up to work. The rivet hole needs to be a bit larger, I found a 9/32 bit will give you an acceptable fit.
DCP40972.jpg
Test fit for old rivet in new green slider, and test fit for slider on rail.
DCP40973.jpg
Reuse old metal spring cage/insert in new green slider.
DCP40985.jpg
Position slider at top or bottom of track and install short cable and spring, then pull long cable and spring to engage it in the slider. Careful!
DCP40986.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK now its time to put old metal parts on new green slider.
DCP40975.jpg
The main big rivet should be flush with the the metal plate.
DCP40976.jpg
I had to use a washer to cover the hole in the plate.
DCP40977.jpg
Bad pic here, but I used vice grips to hold the big old rivet and plate together as tightly as possible so that I could set the 1/8 steel pop rivet.
DCP40978.jpg
Under side view of set rivet.
DCP40979.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Top view of finished slider, good idea to check the operation of the new slider now before the motor is installed. Push and pull it through it's full range, cables and slider should work smoothly.
DCP40980.jpg
Park the slider almost at the top of the rail, and install the motor.
DCP40981.jpg
Reinstall regulator in the door, engage the white square part of slider in the aluminum extrusion attached to the glass, then hang regulator on the pawl.
DCP40982.jpg
Replace the mounting rivets 3/16 steel.
DCP40983.jpg
Remove tape from window, connect electric plug to motor, roll down window and install black plastic lock.
DCP40984.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
View with window down, you can see the aluminum extrusion and slider with black plastic lock installed. I put a few dabs of lube on the rail and stuck the plastic inner liner back to the door.
DCP40987.jpg
Hook up any wires you disconnected and hook the door opener cable.
DCP40988.jpg
Hang the door panel on the sill, check alignment and then gently bump or press the top of the door panel down until it snaps in to place. Now align the clips in the lower door panel with the holes in the door and bump/press the door panel till it snaps on tight.
DCP40989.jpg
Replace latch frame.
DCP40990.jpg
replace lock knob
DCP40991.jpg

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Replace screw at opener / handle
DCP40992.jpg
Replace screw under armrest and replace its cover.
DCP40994.jpg
Replace finish cup opener handle
DCP40996.jpg
clean glass inside and out.
DCP40997.jpg
Done. 1 hour 27 minutes
DCP40998.jpg

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,466 Posts
Nice. My only question is this: how in the world do you get that garage floor (in fact the entire garage) so darn clean? You could have had dinner on that floor easily. BTW, hope dinner was great!

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Thanks for the pictorial, Yacht Master. Someone should nominate it for an inclusion in the DIYs.

The "Suggestions" sticky is intended for anyone to post a suggestion. I even recently cleaned it out, leaving only a few posts for things that I have not yet included or rejected (although none were rejected in the first round).

I want to encourage anyone to post links to their own threads there. Then I can pull them out and include them in the appropriate DIY thread when I have time. Which isn't often, but I do what I can.

That thread has already helped me keep things in order, so I really think it's a good idea. Please, do not hesitate to nominate threads, even your own.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I'm waiting for the text, but that's pretty cool you have a ready, willing and able photographer to help out. :)

And I know where I'm coming when mine (eventually) breaks. Nice work area. I suppose I'll have to spring for dinner, but it will be worth it. :)

I also know that the text will be worthwhile, so I'm off to nominate this for sticky-dom.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
same thing happened to my old e430 (which my parents bought). Had the thing out of there in 15 minutes. Piece of cake.

One tip to get the door panel off easier.

The clips on the top of the door are tough to remove. The best way is to take your panel remover tool, lower the window all the way down, and then slide the removal tool under the top lip of the interior door panel. Pull up a bit, and the clips pop out like a champ.

I ended up using bolts and nuts to hold the thing in place, but here is my question:

I tried the OEM rivets with a standard riveter. The pin never pulled all the way through the rivet. I was left with a partial rivet and the pin still sticking out. Why does that occur?

·
Registered
1999 E300DT (RIP) 2001 E55
128 Posts
I ended up using bolts and nuts to hold the thing in place, but here is my question:

I tried the OEM rivets with a standard riveter. The pin never pulled all the way through the rivet. I was left with a partial rivet and the pin still sticking out. Why does that occur?
Because the hole you put the rivet in was too small (too tight a fit)?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,031 Posts
This is how those rivets work. The pin has stress point, where it breaks. For applications where the rivet is exposed to the weather, like my motorhome siding you can buy special rivets that don't have the steel pin (prone to corrosion) or do what I do. Punch the pin in and caulk the hole.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys, done with the text, let me know if you see any dumb mistakes, omissions unclear wordage ect. so that I can correct or improve the DIY thread.
Here is what was left, any questions/comments feel free to PM me.
DCP41006.jpg
My next DIY will be Ipod integration kit in W211 AMG over on MBWorld.
That is provided nothing breaks on my W210 before then.:D

1 - 20 of 102 Posts