Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesnt this look a bit high to you? The front seems high to me, though the back seems ok. Perhaps the springs have been replaced. So if i wanted to lower, what is the easiest way, and cheapest too! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Cut off a coil by far the cheapist and easiest option.
certainly not the best way to do it though.
I wouldnt do it to my car but plenty on here have.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,445 Posts
Cheapest way is to cut 1.0 coils off the front springs. Best way is to put a set of H&R springs all around.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah ok. So cutting springs is not best, but why would that be? I guess it could be uneven for a start?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ah ok. So cutting springs is not best, but why would that be? I guess it could be uneven for a start?
There are heaps of threads on here disscussing spring cutting and the pros/cons along with the results.
as long as you cut them even , dont take to much off and dont mind the front having firmer travel you will be fine .also make sure the springs are long enough to stay seated.
And check the size of your rubber spring spacers you may have the thickest on there .

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,985 Posts
I feel for ya...

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. I'll do some more searching when i have time, the threads i found so far were not especially relevant but i got loads of time cos i'm skint, lol. Seen some fab pics of lowered 126's though, they look great lower!
I'm thinking it'll ride better at high speed too if its lower, rather than nose in the air like it is at the mo. Its not bad as it is but i tend to think its not quite as rock solid over 100mph as it should be, its a bit affected by the wind and stuff. I've only had 116's before but they were pretty arrow-straight at high speeds.

Still saving for my timing chain though so if i lower the car it'll be ages away yet. I'll just have to look at the nice pics in the meantime :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I've only had 116's before but they were pretty arrow-straight at high speeds.
Dynamicly IMO the w116 is superior to the 126.
It must be the c111 derived suspension LOL

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
My car sits very similar to this. I bought the car in January and the springs look quite new at the front. I wondered if perhaps the previous owner boughts springs that were too big. Like maybe 'euro car parts' or some place are selling springs that are not to exact OE standard?

What is the "correct" ride heigh for a standard W126, i.e. from the ground to the top of the wheel arch, front and rear?

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
118 Posts
My car sits very similar to this. I bought the car in January and the springs look quite new at the front. I wondered if perhaps the previous owner boughts springs that were too big. Like maybe 'euro car parts' or some place are selling springs that are not to exact OE standard?

What is the "correct" ride heigh for a standard W126, i.e. from the ground to the top of the wheel arch, front and rear?
My 420 SEL sits at 27" from ground to arch all around. Way too high in my opinion. I have been searching for H&R springs but they appear to be back-ordered everywhere. I found this company http://www.camskill.co.uk/products right in your backyard. Haven't researched much yet but they look affordable.

·
Registered
2006 G500, 1988 300SEL, 1988 560SL, 1999 S320
14 Posts
i changed a new set of stock MB front spring in my 300SEL, and it came out 29 inch from the ground to arch. No one knows why !!
Then i put a set of H&R spring, the front sit lower now.

·
Registered
1988 560 SEC, '03 Ducati ST4s abs, '68 ZZ430 Camaro
118 Posts
When I bought my 560SEC, it had the lowered 'pimp daddy' look with faux amg look alike wheels all around. I felt waaay conspicuous driving it that way since I'm a bit of a traditionalist. So I ordered factory MB springs for the front (the back is just an adjustment). Put the springs in and darn if the car didn't look 5" too high in front...so, we cut the springs, and now it's perfect. We had an advantage you don't, though - we had the spring that came off the car, which were too short AND the new, too tall ones. So it wasn't exactly rocket science to figure how much to cut. Please note also that there are two or three different rubber doughnut thicknesses (sits atop the spring), so height is adjustable a little that way, too. Best of luck, whatever you do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts