Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'05 C230, '00 C280, '85 380SL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much oil can you fit into a 380SL? :confused:

Sure the manual says the capacity is 8.5 qts with filter...but...

Somehow the bonehead I bought my project 380SL from managed to squeeze 14-1/2 quarts in. Probably closer to 16 when you include the oil that soaked my garage floor as i tried in vain to get the plug back in as my 10 qt recycling container filled at an amazingly brisk pace! Did he forget to drain the old oil before adding new at the last change...who knows. At least I now know why it belched oil out the breather when it ran for 2 minutes!

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,777 Posts
Maybe you have the wrong dipstick.
Or maybe the PO was a dipstick.

Four of your containers are no problem. One of them could lead to a dangerous accident.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,182 Posts
Four of your containers are no problem. One of them could lead to a dangerous accident.
If that container came with the car it could explain the overfilling. :D

It never ceases to amaze me that somoeone would do something like overfilling that much, not to mention that it would even fit. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
380 dipstick length

Looks like you purchased the SL Valdez..:)

Overfilling can cause alot of problems, good you caught it now, Here's a few pics of my dipstick. Make sure you have the correct one installed. It's just amazing what some poeple will do. Good luck with your project, now I would question all the fluids, tranny and all......

It might smoke for a while when you get it started again, I have to believe it was blowing past the rings when it was running.

Tom

Attachments

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
If the car was layed up for storage the PO may have filled it up as a percautionary measure. I have heard of filling the crankcase completly with kerosene before, but not oil.

·
Registered
'05 C230, '00 C280, '85 380SL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I verified it has the right dipstick. I had noticed it was beyond the range when i looked at it, but didn't think it would be or could be that far above capacity.

The kerosene comment is interesting. This stuff was pretty runny for a car that had been sitting for a while, but the 20W-50 that I put in seemed more watery than I expected also. It had a bad odor, but i didn't think anything of it because of how long it was sitting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.