Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 E350 Sport with approximately 55k miles and it has a rhythmic squeaking from the engine that increases/decreases in frequency depending on RPM. It's not on the verge of squealing but it is noticeable and I'm afraid it might only get worse. The idle is fine and you can't hear it inside the car but at idle and if I pull off from a stop with the windows down, you can hear it. The sound occurs after start-up and even after the car has been driven warm. When the hood is open it's hard to pinpoint but with the hood closed and all the sound being projected through the grill, the noise seems more prominent. The car has been perfectly maintained and is great in every other way...not even a rattle, but this is going to start annoying me on a $60k car. I'm clearly out of warranty at this mileage so I'd like to have an idea of what I'd be dealing with when I take it in to the dealer. Any thoughts? comments? follow-up questions? Thanks for the help!

I previously owned a 2007 E350 that was bulletproof and this car is terrific and better in many ways, I just can't stand the thought of my car making this racket.

I'm hoping I'll have just as much luck getting help here on the W212 forum as I had on the W211 forum. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Get yourself a Mechanic's Stethoscope.. one which has both "Auditory" and "Vibration" sensors, (Basically a hollow metal tube, and solid metal probe, Respectively).
Example: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Great-Neck-25210-Mechanics-Stethoscope/dp/B000CMHKQ8[/ame]

With the hollow tube, you can cancel out all noise, other than the area in front of the tube. It makes it easy to isolate abnormalities.

The "Vibration" mode allows for Internal Interrogation of various moving parts (the replacement for the "Good-Ole'-Days" version of putting a screwdriver on the area of concern, and the other on your mastoid process behind your ear.) You can "hear" inside to detect valve train, water pump, etc. problems such as bearings going bad.

This would be "my" first step.

Report back, and we can proceed to step two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Squeaking after belt and pulleys replaced

Please refer to the attached video.

Two thousand miles ago, I brought in my 2010 E350 4Matic Sport in due to belt noise. The mechanic said it was best to replace the belt and pulleys, which he did for $588. He said he found one bad pulley. Car has 55,000 miles.

I sprayed belt conditioner on the belt when I first heard it, but the noise persists. I'm thinking the belt tensioner.

Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts