Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me paranoid but atleast Im alive to hear you call me it. ;)

·
Registered
Tectitgrau S210
76 Posts
lol, I hear you man, I used this spring compressor yesterday and I told my room mate to come to the garage every half hour to make sure I'm alive. It look incredibly dangerous because it has no failsafe mechanism on it at all like the traditional ones that grab the spring from the outside but suprisingly it worked very very well!

oh, btw, i use 2 spare tires as jack stands, haha

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
you must be one of those guys who double wrap it:D

no such thing as too safe. if you have all the safety devices, use them. i usually just choke the rear wheels and use jacks stands along with heavy duty car jack. if i have wheels off than i put wheels horizontally under the car also.

·
Registered
2000 4Matic Estate E320S4 210.282
824 Posts
Agree ... better safe than sorry ...

I use Rhino ramps as well and use a hydraulic jack on the cross member behind the engine meant for this purpose or under the differential when working on the rear end. I also locate jack stands at the proper locations as needed.

I do not drive the car up the ramps but raise it and locate ramp under the wheel and then lower it.

You might want to read the attached article on how to properly raise a Mercedes with a jack that covers both the W210 and W211. Hope it helps.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
Glad yer all playing safe.
Had a friend crushed many years back (1980ish) when a Chevy van came down on him.
He lived, and now still has some issues from the experience. Only reason it wasn't worse was the van had high ground clearance.
Could have gone the other way though.

Be safe!
aardvark

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bet $10000000000000000000000 the hose is secured.
Yeah the rhino ramp is securing the hose with the cars downward force in case gravity decides to take a nap. The hose through the car jack well thats just embarrassing, pardon me but 3 points of failure is better than 1 :D

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,842 Posts
Having some mechanical education I have to point that in this case more not necessary means better.
Ramps and stands are pretty safe devices if set RIGHT. Meaning they have the load placed where the engineers design.
Now with this set up if the stand is just standing with no load on it and the car will start rolling down the ramp -the stand will tip over in split second.
Than what good ramp does when you have no bolts holding the wheels? ;)

·
Registered
2000 E320 4MATIC
1,732 Posts
Having some mechanical education I have to point that in this case more not necessary means better.
Ramps and stands are pretty safe devices if set RIGHT. Meaning they have the load placed where the engineers design.
Now with this set up if the stand is just standing with no load on it and the car will start rolling down the ramp -the stand will tip over in split second.
Than what good ramp does when you have no bolts holding the wheels? ;)

The best comment for this thread!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts