Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

revs!!

1159 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  xscottyx
Gidday boys! I know its a subject thats been brought up numerous times, and being a merc fanatic i should know!

I know mercs rev rather high on the open road and ive got used to that, but what revs does the 2.3 190e reach its peak performance....

I find myself sometimes holding it up to 4k rpm at times....is this bad? Or are they built for this?

It just seems a rush of power comes at high rpm..

cheers
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
According to road test data, the 2.3L 8 valve made its peak power at 5500 rpm, where as ...

According to road test data, the 2.3L 8 valve made its peak power at 5500 rpm, where as the 2.3-16 was optimum at 6,500 rpm.

· Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
surprising!

Peak at 5,500 rpm. Thats alotta revs, Im used to vehicles such a holdens and the like because im in new zealand. They tend to cruise at 1500 rpm. Thats pretty close to redline, Mine redlines at 6,500 i think. How do you distinguish the 16s from the 8 valves?

So the way i read that, is if peak powers all the way up there, it doesnt hurt to use the higher part of the tachmeter providing you dont redline.

· Registered
MB 190e 2.3 8v(W201)
85 Posts
high revs

hey, whats goin on....they are totaly right the 2.3 190's love to rev up into the 5's and even 6's....it doesnt hurt the car that top range is meant to be there for your excitment, just have fun with it....they are built to perfection....with my car (190e 2.3l 8v) you can ask my frineds i've been able to drive way past 6500...known to top it at right around 6850-6900 jus right before red-line...but neways yea jus have fun, u are right thou they do rev high and hit a "sweetspot" around 3750-5500....i jus say go for push it all the way right b4 redline....theres definatly a rush at the top speed, and you'll wish it goes higher...!!! also the way you can tell if you have an 8 or 16 valve...jus look at your air filter(and air filter housing) if its oval and goin the long way left to right...you got the 8v and it it circle you were lucky to get the 16v...thats probly the easiest way to find out what ya got..lada

~Scott~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.