Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have just joined but have been a long time reader and fan of the posters and the really helpful info.

I have a 1996, w210 classic e320, petrol automatic. It has 146,000 km on the clock and I have only bought it 2 months ago from a 2nd hand dealer. My problem is throttle lag and the car revving abnormally-or so I think and so I am looking for some clarification and advice.

The performance issues can be summarised as:
1. when going up hill the car hits 3,ooo rpm and then when I look for more acceleration it doesnt seem to respond. When I absolutely floor the pedal in an effort to get it moving the revs will obviously jump ridiculously after 2-3 seconds to around 5.5-6k rpm making serious noise and the engine sounding like I'm really hurting it :(

2. when sitting in neutral in my garage I gently ramp the revs up with the car in park mode setting and I have foot also on brake for safety reasons. When engine reaches 4k it stops there and will not move above 4k not matter how much more I push accelerator down. The engine makes a terrible effort to try and break through and carry on upto the remaining revs but cannot in neutral-is this normal?

3. this is related to point 2. to help people, when on the road and I really floor it the engine will cover all its revs upto 7k rpm so why in neutral does it not run the whole range?

4. the most worrying thing in terms of safety though relates to the car basically going to sleep when sitting at a junction or crossing. Even if the car is warmed up and has been driven for hours when approaching a crossing or moving from a standing start it is very, very sluggish requiring me to stamp on the accelerator again in a bid to get me out of harm.

In a bid to try and resolve the problems I have read numerous threads and have made an effort to be proactive. I have cleaned the MAF sensor and I have also put a fuel additive into the petrol to try and clean the engine and the injectors. I know these are probably very small steps but I have no experience whatsoever-the only reason I know what a MAF is and how to clean it were due to this site ! :bowdown: so thanks to everyone already.

Any further insight people can give is much appreciated as I am determined to have ago and try and fix this stuff myself before a dealership, but the only way I can do this and bridge the fear of trying is with your help.

thanks in advance, hope the above is not too long winded, if there is other info you need plse let me know,
Sid,

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
The engine computer has a built-in rev limiter when in neutral or park - that is what you are experiencing.

When coming to a braked stop, then engine drops below normal idel and almost feels like the engine "is cking" - or coming away from a braked stop, the engine stumbles, again feeling like the engine is "choking"... my personal recommendation is to replace the MAF with genuine Bosch MAF (not a non-brand or counterfeit Bosche).

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
ad 1 this is how gasoline engine works. They have steep power curve and in order to get performance under heavier load, you need to make it downshift by kicking the WOT switch
as 2 on this computer with wheels, the programmers did lot of similar programs to protect the car from its owners. Nothing to worry about.
MAF going bad can lower the performance for long time before triggering a code and cleaning doesn't have good success ratio. Unless you take the car to expensive computers, the only way to confirm MAF performance is getting another one.
How is you mpg?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Hi All,
I have just joined but have been a long time reader and fan of the posters and the really helpful info.

I have a 1996, w210 classic e320, petrol automatic. It has 146,000 km on the clock and I have only bought it 2 months ago from a 2nd hand dealer. My problem is throttle lag and the car revving abnormally-or so I think and so I am looking for some clarification and advice.

The performance issues can be summarised as:
1. when going up hill the car hits 3,ooo rpm and then when I look for more acceleration it doesnt seem to respond. When I absolutely floor the pedal in an effort to get it moving the revs will obviously jump ridiculously after 2-3 seconds to around 5.5-6k rpm making serious noise and the engine sounding like I'm really hurting it :(

2. when sitting in neutral in my garage I gently ramp the revs up with the car in park mode setting and I have foot also on brake for safety reasons. When engine reaches 4k it stops there and will not move above 4k not matter how much more I push accelerator down. The engine makes a terrible effort to try and break through and carry on upto the remaining revs but cannot in neutral-is this normal?

3. this is related to point 2. to help people, when on the road and I really floor it the engine will cover all its revs upto 7k rpm so why in neutral does it not run the whole range?

4. the most worrying thing in terms of safety though relates to the car basically going to sleep when sitting at a junction or crossing. Even if the car is warmed up and has been driven for hours when approaching a crossing or moving from a standing start it is very, very sluggish requiring me to stamp on the accelerator again in a bid to get me out of harm.

In a bid to try and resolve the problems I have read numerous threads and have made an effort to be proactive. I have cleaned the MAF sensor and I have also put a fuel additive into the petrol to try and clean the engine and the injectors. I know these are probably very small steps but I have no experience whatsoever-the only reason I know what a MAF is and how to clean it were due to this site ! :bowdown: so thanks to everyone already.

Any further insight people can give is much appreciated as I am determined to have ago and try and fix this stuff myself before a dealership, but the only way I can do this and bridge the fear of trying is with your help.

thanks in advance, hope the above is not too long winded, if there is other info you need plse let me know,
Sid,
I didn't even read the topic, 4K in neutral is all I needed to read.

You must be a kid, or really know nothing about car's. Stop rev'ing it at ALL!!!!

You are going to blow the engine up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea what a WOT switch is sorry, I will replace MAF switch when I get some money together. Thanks for fabbrisd1 for clarification on rev limiter, this puts me at ease. I get about 600km from a full tank of '98 shell v power unleaded petrol, I dont know what that works out at mpg or it is good performance

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I have no idea what a WOT switch is sorry, I will replace MAF switch when I get some money together. Thanks for fabbrisd1 for clarification on rev limiter, this puts me at ease. I get about 600km from a full tank of '98 shell v power unleaded petrol, I dont know what that works out at mpg or it is good performance
WOT is short for wide open throttle. You get there quickly by depressing the kickdown switch behind the accelerator. I get close to 500 miles per tank which is 25 mpg.

·
Registered
35,769 Posts
Filling up 18-19 gallons 500 miles would make 28 mpg, the 600 km, or 375 miles makes about 20 mpg. Low, but not tragic, not knowing driving conditions.
Than you are closing on 100k miles, what is a point of tune up, meaning new plugs, checking the coils O2 sensors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts