Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SLK-230
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't decided which would save me more money..... Selling my car with blown engine as is, or putting a salvage engine and selling it in full working condition.

If I do fix it..... Should I buy and engine and salvage the shortblock from it or just put the whole engine?

Also, can someone PLEASE point me in the direction of a AUSTIN TX mechanic who will be able to do this in a timely manner.

Also will I take a resale value cut by having a "new" salvage engine in it?

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
Hello

Trouble is with a salvage motor is it could be blown aswell, can you not get yours rebuilt ?

Whats wrong with the old motor?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
It might be helpful to know what happened to the engine to "blow" it.
If a rod went through the block you have little choice but to replace it, but the chance of that with the 230 engine is almost zero. Most anything else can be repaired with some time and effort.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Bazzle said:
This member posted a few weeks ago. Rod thru block from memory.
Concensus was for him to get a 2nd hand motor from Potomac etc and just fit in as SLK is being traded.

Bazzle
Potomac Is going to be rough, they don't have a lot in the new car area, some, but not much.
I recall the pst you mention, but not the cause of the engine loss. Throwing a rod in a 230 is VERY hard to do unless the engine is badly mistreated. The factory had the precurser of these engines up to 11,000 rpm on the dyno without a failure, they are VERY strong engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts