Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1985 380sl. Unfortunately its engine has passed away and I don't want to sell the car just because of its style and I've had it for a while. Anyways I was wondering if I could just swap the engine with a 560 so I could get the extra power the 380 lacks. Is it possible? I want to do the most simple swap there is. Nothing crazy like dropping in an ls, but rather more that requires less changing of the car itself. If the 560 does fit in would else would I have to change, also would there be a better option than the 560? Thank you guys.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Our forum member @Mirv has just done a swap similar to what you want to do.

Look for a w126 500sec engine. The 5 liter engine is very closely a direct drop in fit. You will need several components from the old engine since some of the components will need to be swapped. Oil pan, filter, exhaust headers, water pump, and a bunch of other goodies.

Mirv can chime in on what else needs done. He was having some issues with the stock 380sl radiator and had to replace it. I would inquire to him his step by step process.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Just curious as to why you wouldn't rebuild the 380? With the engine out of the car (which you're doing anyway) a rebuild should be relatively easy compared to the conversion process you're contemplating. Not to mention the problems associated with making a KE-Jet engine work in a K-Jet environment.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Our forum member @Mirv has just done a swap similar to what you want to do.

Look for a w126 500sec engine. The 5 liter engine is very closely a direct drop in fit. You will need several components from the old engine since some of the components will need to be swapped. Oil pan, filter, exhaust headers, water pump, and a bunch of other goodies.

Mirv can chime in on what else needs done. He was having some issues with the stock 380sl radiator and had to replace it. I would inquire to him his step by step process.
I'm going to try to finish up my thread in the next couple of days. The issue I'm having now is cooling. If I drive it for more than 45 minutes, it gets hot and stays hot. I'm having a 3 row core put in my radiator and it's supposed to be ready Friday, which means I'll know how well it works Saturday. As Rowdie pointed out and I have read, the biggest headache with putting in a 560 engine is the electronics.

·
Premium Member
9,699 Posts
Wow roncallo, is that your baby? Is there any thread or article online about this "upgrade"? :D

·
Registered
935 Posts

Thanks for sharing roncallo, those are chunky threads - will read them at my leisure, probably around year 2049 :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts