Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos of my 1973 450SL taken in July 2009 at about mid stage in a 4 year detail restoration. When complete every single detail was attended to including re-plating every cadmium part in the engine bay, finding decals and if decals were not available replicas were made. Spark plug wires had the yellow rubber numbers which took me 4 years to find. The rubber mat in the trunk took just about as long. There wasn't a single detail left untouched. She was gorgeous when complete. That was original paint which was pretty much flawless.

I sold it 7 years ago with 120k miles and had an opportunity to buy it back this year with only an additional 4k miles but decided on a 2009 slk300 instead.

It's too late to buy it back now but I sure regret not jumping on it when I had the chance and finding an extra storage place. :(

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
If you want to do it all again, I recently picked up two 450sl, one 1972, and one 1973. Both were purchased as parts cars, but they are both surprisingly solid with apparently under 100k on the odometers. Once I get them running, I will decide what to do with them. And I was being SO good this year at following my New Years Resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whauw love the engine bay!!
Thanks. It was nice at that time but by the time I finished it was showroom quality. I had taken tons of pics of the restoration work but somehow lost them. I have been looking everywhere but without success.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to do it all again, I recently picked up two 450sl, one 1972, and one 1973. Both were purchased as parts cars, but they are both surprisingly solid with apparently under 100k on the odometers. Once I get them running, I will decide what to do with them. And I was being SO good this year at following my New Years Resolution.

Thanks, Fonzi but I am now too old to venture into something like that again. I have my r171 and w176 which is now enough for me. What ever happened to nobby? He was such a great resource and great guy too.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,823 Posts
Thanks, Fonzi but I am now too old to venture into something like that again. I have my r171 and w176 which is now enough for me. What ever happened to nobby? He was such a great resource and great guy too.
@nobby is still around, and I am sure he will be glad to see you posting again!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally found the pic of my engine after rebuild. It's not the one I was looking for but shows all of the re-plating and powder coating of the intake manifold. Note all the yellow plug id tags (now extinct) I bought the last number 2 in existence. All linkage, fuel lines, injectors, hoses replaced.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,587 Posts
I hate it that we lost the banner picture of your SL and USSUN's '73 450SLC AMG. It disappeared during the downgrade.

FYI those numbers for the wires became available again. A few years ago member that has since been banned was custom making wire sets using Beru parts and those numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,043 Posts
I finally found the pic of my engine after rebuild. It's not the one I was looking for but shows all of the re-plating and powder coating of the intake manifold. Note all the yellow plug id tags (now extinct) I bought the last number 2 in existence. All linkage, fuel lines, injectors, hoses replaced.

View attachment 2604042
I remember the spotless pics. It spurred me to clean up mine somewhat. How do you like your SLK?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember the spotless pics. It spurred me to clean up mine somewhat. How do you like your SLK?
I absolutely love it. It's quite a bit different from my 73 450SL but in this case I get to just drive and enjoy. 80,000km in near showroom condition. For being only a 300 it has more power than I would ever need. I love the way it handles on the curvy mountain roads. On a hot day with top down, windows up and AC on you stay nice and cool even at 35C and nice and warm with heat on at 10C. The wind just seems to flow over the car leaving the cabin comfortable in most conditions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've found some of your pictures on the web. I downloaded them for reference on what I'd like my engine to look like. I always wondered what the backstory was. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, kchuckfif. They are hub caps (stainless steel I believer) which where highly polished and repainted. One had to be found and replaced. They were only on the 73 I believe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a set on my 77, but they don’t look like that. Don’t know why but I love the look of these cars with caps, full ‘Merican bumpers, and the double headlights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ll post 1 tomorrow night just out of town for the weekend. Would rather be in the Benz, but it’s not on the road right now

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,587 Posts
Thanks, kchuckfif. They are hub caps (stainless steel I believer) which where highly polished and repainted. One had to be found and replaced. They were only on the 73 I believe.
Steel wheels and hub caps were standard equipment. Light alloys (Bundts) were optional. I have an '84 280SL with a steel wheel spare. The car has flaking chrome Bundts that I know were not original.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More photos: This is where I removed the intake manifold in an attempt to wire brush and clean it up. Lot's of work was done to clean up the mess underneath it and then onto the polishing.

CRW_6758.jpg CRW_6759.jpg CRW_6760.jpg CRW_6761.jpg CRW_6762.jpg Manifold1.jpg Manifold2.jpg Manifold3.jpg Manifold4.jpg Manifold5.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts