Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this stuff recommended in the last issue of The Star. It was $15 from Pep Boys. Kit consists of 2 small tubes, some fine grit sandpaper and 2 microfibers. It's supposed to use a new technology to have your existing paint bleed into a scratch and fill it.

Results on my black car were pretty good. I didn't use the sand paper at all, but on some of the less serious scratches the product did a good job of minimizing their appearance.

Not miraculous, but worth the $15.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used both. The Quixx worked better for me.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
The way these products all work is by polishing the paint down below the scratch if the scratch is solely in the clearcoat, or for deeper scratches rounding the edges on the scratch to make them look smaller. What works great for me on black is once you are done applying the magic scratch removers and it still shows, get a permanent black marker, fill in the scratch and then wipe off the excess with your finger before it dries. This leaves the black in the scratch and wipes off any excess on the paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quixx Scratch Remover

I don't know about all the other scratch remover products, but Quixx uses something called Plastic Deformation to help fill in the scratch with the existing paint surrounding the scratch.

How it works: Plastic deformation is a permanent distortion of a material, in this case, the paint at the scratched spot. The paint material surrounding the scratch is mechanically deformed so that it flows into the scratch gap and the scratch is filled with the vehicle's original paint.

The paint material surrounding the scratch is mechanically deformed so that it flows into the scratch gap and the scratch is filled with the vehicle's original paint.

The way these products all work is by polishing the paint down below the scratch if the scratch is solely in the clearcoat, or for deeper scratches rounding the edges on the scratch to make them look smaller. What works great for me on black is once you are done applying the magic scratch removers and it still shows, get a permanent black marker, fill in the scratch and then wipe off the excess with your finger before it dries. This leaves the black in the scratch and wipes off any excess on the paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts