Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 300 SE, 107K miles; when I shift into reverse there is a delay before the transmission engages. This was an abrupt change in a previously smooth shifting machine. So, had the transmission serviced at an independent shop specializing in MB only. No change in behavior. Ideas, suggestions?
Alex

·
Registered
71 Posts
Its not good... The same thing happened to my tranny @ about 180K though. The 300se and my 560 transmissions are different but internals I think are similar. In my case the problem got worse and worse, I did the filter & fluid change (assuming your shop did this as well) and this proved not to help as I was advised by others in old transmissions (on their last leg) new fluid just worsens things as all the seals and such just get washed out etc..
Long story short in my case this is not serviceable while the tranny is in the car. Got to pull it and rebuild. From some searches I believe this is linked to the B3 piston..
Good luck.. hope and prey its something else...

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
My 722.112 tranny with 210K has done it for 10+ years, no other problems though. It only has a 2sec delay though.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,258 Posts
91 300 SE, 107K miles; when I shift into reverse there is a delay before the transmission engages. This was an abrupt change in a previously smooth shifting machine. So, had the transmission serviced at an independent shop specializing in MB only. No change in behavior. Ideas, suggestions?
Alex
Welcome Alex, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum, and even has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information re your topic.
Good luck

Please complete your profile with a location and car mod (see sticky for how to). It makes it easier for member to offer advice.
For example, the vacuum diagram for a Euro will differ from the US version.
Cheers

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
The .1's were slower to engage IME. Typically a change like that is indicating that your transmission is getting tired. How are the rest of the shifts? Still crisp?

Jonathan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slow engage reverse

I do not detect any change in the behavior of forward gears, but have stopped downshifting in order to "protect" the transmission.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My tranny was doing the same thing before it took a dump on me at almost exactly 107K. (I purchased the car at 104K) The turning point was when I did 20mph in reverse one day and the trans was toast after that. If I were you I would avoid even using reverse. Just let it roll back and go REAL slow when you do use reverse. You don't wanna be stuck with this car like I am. Good thing I like the car.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I had a m110 engined w116 that was torturiously slow to shift into reverse I drove it, and not sedately for over 20 thousand miles like that untill i sold it, with no problems at all....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:If I were you I would avoid even using reverse. Just let it roll back and go REAL slow when you do use reverse. You don't wanna be stuck with this car like I am. Good thing I like the car.

Thats funny I remember those days when it got really bad it would take about 10-25 sec to shift into reverse.. You have to be real observant of road slope conditions, I would only park in spots which I could roll out of and the worst is a 3point turn when you're down into the crown of road I would hit 3Krpm to get out of it. Use the buddy system when it stops working..never be by yourself cause these are some heavy cars..LOL.
But as others mentioned you can try and ride it as long as possible before a full rebuild. In my case from the first symptoms it lasted about +-4 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts