Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
For starters which flavor of transmissions layout does your truck have; 6, 8 or 20 speed? This will help explain how much you are trying to unlock. This brings up the next question, how fast do you need to go in reverse in a SWB MB4-94?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You think? Well before we take this freight train down a dirt road, let's try to identify what you have.

This is the 20 speed setup

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
This is from a write up on the 6 to 8 speed conversion in the 404 but the shifter patterns are the same.
Just to be clear, these are 404 images but it applies to sorting out 6, 8 or 20.
Factory 6 speed

Factory 8 speed

A fuller picture

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I think in order to get more reverses you would have to add the high/low shift lever from a eight speed and then convert the shift plate over on the main transmission like an eight speed. This would then give you a 24 speed transmission. In my opinion, the 16 speed SEE transmission is the best one for the mogs with the eight speed a close second. And the two reverses in high range on the 20 speed are still too slow for me as well.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I think in order to get more reverses you would have to add the high/low shift lever from a eight speed and then convert the shift plate over on the main transmission like an eight speed.
I think I recall this being talked about before and that WAS the only solution.

For what it's worth, there are times I wouldn't mind a bit more speed in reverse. Not French Army fast ;) but faster then stock.

Don't want to hijack, but, can a 419 (SEE) transmission be dropped into a 406 or 416 with no mods ?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
2x4 (8 speed) conversion will be the way to go. On the 8 speed, gear 3 and 4 in low range, overlap 1 and 2 in high range. BUT, you will have reverse in all 4 low gears. Finding the hi /low lever is the tough part. The conversion is fairly straightforward.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The conversion is fairly straightforward.
Straightforward and HARD! Esde, I know you have done a couple of these, but I have read the two writeups on the conversion and I'm terrified!

As for "Are the reverse gears in high range faster than stock," I don't know that I have this right myself, but the reverse does NOT work in the High range. Reverse works on the Low range side as before, but you get to use your 3 & 4 gears from the High range side. So the "reverse gears in high range" (3&4) are the same speeds they were before - no change at all, you're just going in the other direction :D

Esde, is that right? You really just pick up 2 additional reverse gears that are 3&4 in the shift pattern?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Straightforward and HARD! Esde, I know you have done a couple of these, but I have read the two writeups on the conversion and I'm terrified!

As for "Are the reverse gears in high range faster than stock," I don't know that I have this right myself, but the reverse does NOT work in the High range. Reverse works on the Low range side as before, but you get to use your 3 & 4 gears from the High range side. So the "reverse gears in high range" (3&4) are the same speeds they were before - no change at all, you're just going in the other direction :D

Esde, is that right? You really just pick up 2 additional reverse gears that are 3&4 in the shift pattern?
Correct. You only have reverse in low range. Originally I was certain I'd have reverse in hi and low, but the trans won't do it, even though the shift plate tells you it will work. I spoke w Dangerousdan here and he clued me into how the reverse gears work, and why you can only access reverse in low. Oh well. Going 6 to 2x4 is easier than the other way around. You're essentially throwing an alarm clocks worth of guts in the can, boring a hole for the new shifter, and welding a piece to the shift plate to block off the old 5-6 gate. Von had to machine a shift fork once, but the few I've done always had the slot for the high low lever. Maybe luck, who knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts