Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 G500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I am looking for input on upgrading the reverse lights in my 2000 G500.
Does anyone else think the standard lights are weak?
Can't see a thing.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
gpg500 - 4/3/2005 1:38 PM

Hey gang,
Can't see a thing.
Thank you.
I think you can get a halogen bulb that will drop right in.

·
Registered
W463, 300GE
647 Posts

Hey gang,
Can't see a thing.
Thank you.
thats the shit with tinted windows.

if you can spare the rear for glight, than you can change it to the same white color as the reverse light. Just change the lenses...[:D] and you have an additional light if needed[:D]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
79percent - 4/3/2005 3:06 PM

if you can spare the rear for glight, than you can change it to the same white color as the reverse light. Just change the lenses...[:D] and you have an additional light if needed[:D]
The preMBUSA G500's imported by Europa did convert the fog light to make two backup lights. They're still pretty dim, even without window tinting.

Another idea would be to silver spray or foil line the inside backs of the lights to increase what goes where it's needed.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
DUTCH - 4/3/2005 3:12 PM

79percent - 4/3/2005 3:06 PM

The pre-MBUSA G500's imported by Europa did convert the fog light to make two backup lights. They're still pretty dim, even without window tinting.

Another idea would be to silver spray or foil line the inside backs of the lights to increase what goes where it's needed.
Scratch the latter idea, as it's plastic and already silver colored.

The bulb in mine is a 21watt Philips #12498. It looks a lot like an 1156 bulb. If that's the case, there are 50 watt halogen replacements available; but. . . . . . will the plastic housing take the heat from the increased wattage?!??

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
Go to http://www.clubgwagen.com/gtech/files/trailerg500/02.jpg.

In your hitch wiring is a lead for reverse lights, #8. Wire in a dedicated large wattage light (whatever 1mm wire can handle). Like a small fog light. You can either back tap into the wire or make a special harness. You'd want to check to see if the same wire is feeding the two reverse lights installed. If so, use it to activate a relay that draws 12v from #9 which is always powered.

I've tried the halogen backup lights. In both cases (93 Volvo and 80 Mercedes, the extra wattage blew the fuses).

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
JRBrown - 4/3/2005 6:08 PM

Go to http://www.clubgwagen.com/gtech/files/trailerg500/02.jpg.

In your hitch wiring is a lead for reverse lights, #8. Wire in a dedicated large wattage light (whatever 1mm wire can handle). Like a small fog light. You can either back tap into the wire or make a special harness. You'd want to check to see if the same wire is feeding the two reverse lights installed. If so, use it to activate a relay that draws 12v from #9 which is always powered.

I've tried the halogen backup lights. In both cases (93 Volvo and 80 Mercedes, the extra wattage blew the fuses).
If an additional accessory light sounds attractive to you, Expedition Exchange offers these: $15, Hella, 55 watt, H3, rubberized housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500
290 Posts
In addition to my post regarding taking advantage of the reverse wire in the hitch wire, you could go one step further using a light along Capt Spalding's and mount it on a 2" receiver. Whenever your not trailering, slide in the receiver withyour "custom Light" and hook it into the trailer hitch harness.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
50 Watt Halogen

Hey gang,
Can't see a thing.
Thank you.
I've found a source for 50 watt halogen bulbs to replace the current 21 watt in your G. Not sure what they'll do to fuses or the effect of heat on the plastic light fixture.

If you're interested, contact me by email; and I'll give you the source. As a host, I've decided to stop making recommendations and/or referrals on the forum, except for advertisers.

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
RE: 50 Watt Halogen

DUTCH - 4/4/2005 5:58 PM
. . . As a host, I've decided to stop making recommendations and/or referrals on the forum, except for advertisers.
Dutch, if you are committed to that idea, may I respectfully suggest that you should pass the moderator reigns to someone else and just be a contributor like the rest of us. Yours is some of the most qualified and wisened advice in the forum. Anyone can padlock an off-topic or feisty thread. You have too much valuable information to offer to be in a position not to share it.

IMHO, the job of a moderator is to keep things friendly and mostly on topic, not to be a shill for the sponsors.

— Spalding

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Do you have a europa model? If so you have likely non-tinted windows and two reverse lights as opposed to one... as "stock" configurations go, it doesn't get any better than that because most all non-europa models have only one reverse light and some have dark tinted windows.

I have no recommendations, but figured it worth asking which model you have since it changes your options if you hadn't already noticed. I changed bumpers but still use the stock lights, but it seems brighter now... perhaps because they aren't recessed anymore so they spill more light outward?

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
ewalberg - 4/5/2005 1:46 AM

Do you have a europa model? If so you have likely non-tinted windows and two reverse lights as opposed to one... as "stock" configurations go, it doesn't get any better than that because most all non-europa models have only one reverse light and some have dark tinted windows.

I have no recommendations, but figured it worth asking which model you have since it changes your options if you hadn't already noticed. I changed bumpers but still use the stock lights, but it seems brighter now... perhaps because they aren't recessed anymore so they spill more light outward?
I have absolutely no problem with my one reverse light - I also upgraded it along with the headlights and brake lights in month one of ownership since I know DC uses a crap supplier for bulbs.

This is the guy you want to ask about bigger bulbs -
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

2nd to none......

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
If possible, then why don't you consider some aftermarket parking sonar system. Since my '04 came standard with this sonar system, i love it...backing up is easy and no fear. Good hearing is all you need to hear the beeps. Sonar picks up everything...it falls a bit on the side of over-senstivity, but that's a good thing. You don't need a stronger reverse light nor bigger windows with this system.

Even on my previous car (BMW M3--small 2 door coupe), the sonar system made things so much easier even though i probably did not need it. I just check the sides and back up.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
ParkTronic

saigonsmuggler - 4/5/2005 12:14 PM

If possible, then why don't you consider some aftermarket parking sonar system. Since my '04 came standard with this sonar system, i love it...backing up is easy and no fear. Good hearing is all you need to hear the beeps.
The pre-MBUSA G500's from Europa had the ParkTronic option as standard.

And, when you plug a trailer light connector into the socket, it turns the ParkTronic off!

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
Ok so mine is a 2002 but this is what I tried. The fifty watt halogen replacement melted my lens and made it bubble. I removed the entire housing and attached an HID Hella with the ballast in the bumper. This makes a very bright and nicely proportioned spread and is clearly visible through the tint. Best of all it is completely stock appearing. I will look up the Hella part number.

·
Registered
G 500, 55K
486 Posts
One more thought about Dutch's moderation. I think he is right on target. If he has information he asks for a private message for him to give a recommendation. Dutch has been the most visible and even handed moderator and has been a model of ethical civility. By suggesting that he turn over the board so that he can perform the same function as any one of us you have arbitrarily assigned Dutch to a different set of rules. I think that Dutch's way of handling this is spot on. I truly commend him for his even handed and, dare I say, professional approach to his dual role of Moderator and Participant. Right on, Dutch. Just my not so humble opinion.

Marc O

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
MarcO - 4/5/2005 9:59 AM
I truly commend him for his even handed and, dare I say, professional approach to his dual role of Moderator and Participant. Right on, Dutch. Just my not so humble opinion.
I didn't mean to impune Dutch's abilities as a moderator. Superlative in every way. I just meant to say that I consider his wealth of G knowledge too valuable to be depreciated by ethical concerns arising from his role as moderator. [:)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Moderation

I don't plan to give it up, and thank you for the votes of confidence. I'm just one of many contributors here - just a small part of a great whole.

When I say that I'm not going to make recommendations in my role as host, I guess that I wasn't clear enough. What I meant is that, as host, I am no longer going to make recommendations for or referrals to commercial money making (or losing, as might be the case) enterprises. It's not fair of me to do so, when we have other commercial enterprises contributing towards the support of this site. True, that most of them don't offer much to the G community; but that just means I won't be making very many commercial recommendations.

Alles klar? [:eek:)]

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
35 Watt Also Available

Hey gang,
Can't see a thing.
Thank you.
I've just been advised by the supplier that a 35 watt halogen lamp is also available. That's 150% brighter than the stock 21 watt incandescent bulb.

He further mentions, with respect to the 50 watt bulb, that heat is not normally a problem with backup lights, since they are only usually on for a few seconds at a time.

If you want the supplier's info, contact me by email off the forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts