Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not getting power to the terminals in both reverse lights sockets when in reverse. I checked all fuses in the main box, and the smaller fuse boxes in the engine compartment. All other lights work as far as I can tell.

Is the switch in the transmission, or up near the shifter? If near the transmission, is it on a specific side? I have always had a wire hanging down near the transmission (since I got the car 4 years ago), and never knew where it went, I think it has a typical 'eye' connector on the end of it.

Any help finding the switch and diagnosing the problem would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
2,280 Posts
Yeah, me too. My reverse lights have never worked.

·
Registered
1964 Mercedes 220Sb
103 Posts
On my '64 the reverse lights are very intermittent, if you hold the shifter in the perfect spot they work, so I'd assume it's up in the shifter somewhere.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,735 Posts
I am not getting power to the terminals in both reverse lights sockets when in reverse. I checked all fuses in the main box, and the smaller fuse boxes in the engine compartment. All other lights work as far as I can tell.

Is the switch in the transmission, or up near the shifter? If near the transmission, is it on a specific side? I have always had a wire hanging down near the transmission (since I got the car 4 years ago), and never knew where it went, I think it has a typical 'eye' connector on the end of it.

Any help finding the switch and diagnosing the problem would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Automatic transmission? If so, neutral safety switch is on left side of the transmission. Connector has four pins. Two operate starter inhibitor, other two reverse lights.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
^ +1

The loose wire sounds like it goes to the kickdown solenoid? Does the tranny downshift when you hit the kickdown switch?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts