Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello ! I have mercedes w210 e230 1995 2.3 722.6 automatic tranny . Reverse works fine on flat ground but fails at ground level change . Almost like slipping at higher rpms it grabs on the ground but wheels doesent turn .And when i put in neutrall there is a small hit Drive works well without any problems . Switches gears without any issues . Im new to automatic . Looking for help .:confused:
74A70D34-A91A-4B4C-985E-1171F1BD19DB.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
This is what you have.
Mercedes-Benz E-klasse E-klasse (W210) • E 230 (210.037) (150 Hp) technical specifications and fuel consumption — AutoData24.com

You need to get the transmission serviced, as it sounds like it is a mechanical / aging issue for the lining plates / piston sealing rings and / or the one-way roller clutch in the reverse gear assembly. Have it checked by a competent transmission mechanic. I do not think there is much you can do especially if you are not familiar with auto transmissions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i will
This is what you have.
Mercedes-Benz E-klasse E-klasse (W210) • E 230 (210.037) (150 Hp) technical specifications and fuel consumption — AutoData24.com

You need to get the transmission serviced, as it sounds like it is a mechanical / aging issue for the lining plates / piston sealing rings and / or the one-way roller clutch in the reverse gear assembly. Have it checked by a competent transmission mechanic. I do not think there is much you can do especially if you are not familiar with auto transmissions.
Thanks i will keep that in mind

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just now checked the transmission oil level . level was way above 80 degrees level even when the engine was cold . Could that be the reason ? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,368 Posts
You wrote that the the transmission shifts fine for the forward gears, but not reverse. If the ATF level were the issue you would have problems with the forward gears too. Is this a new problem, or did you buy the car like this ?

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,981 Posts
Common issue with the 722.4xx transmission. Eventually you will lose the reverse completely, it happend on my 1993 2.3 w/722.4 transmission few years ago. I ended up replacing the transmission with a very low mileage one that had 27k miles only on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what you have.

Can you please tell which piston rings should i look ? Because there is alot of them

Attachments

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts
Their is a last chance fix on these 722.4 for reverse. This is what it is :

In most cases I have seen it is never that, but the inside piston seal in the transmission it self. Read this thread, but see post #15

Here is the whole assembly:

It is seal #338 that goes into 966(B3 piston) responsible for solely REVERSE

Whatever It Takes Transmission Parts

Now, that fragment in your pan is a spring being ejected because part 966 has tooooo much travel and the spring(s) loose contact, and you get this:(see pictures on first post)

The springs are part 976... I have a 722.5 transmission in this condition, but mine ejected like three or four springs, so it does not look like the one in the post above, but it happens about half the times these transmissions loose reverse. The 722.3 through 722.5 are the ones affected on any Mercedes model. In my case I going to put a a 722.6(all electronic one-for fun). I'm going to make my own transmission controller(the code is written, yet need to build the circuit board.), yet at the moment one can buy a few transmission controllers to do this. It is a popular path that the diesel guys do to get rid of the 722.3-722.5 and put the long lasting 722.6 and more fuel efficiant transmission because they gain that 5th gear...See this thread:

If you want to rebuild your 722-3/722.4 transmission, here is all the info on this thread:

All the best,

Martin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Their is a last chance fix on these 722.4 for reverse. This is what it is :

In most cases I have seen it is never that, but the inside piston seal in the transmission it self. Read this thread, but see post #15

Here is the whole assembly:

It is seal #338 that goes into 966(B3 piston) responsible for solely REVERSE

Whatever It Takes Transmission Parts

Now, that fragment in your pan is a spring being ejected because part 966 has tooooo much travel and the spring(s) loose contact, and you get this:(see pictures on first post)

The springs are part 976... I have a 722.5 transmission in this condition, but mine ejected like three or four springs, so it does not look like the one in the post above, but it happens about half the times these transmissions loose reverse. The 722.3 through 722.5 are the ones affected on any Mercedes model. In my case I going to put a a 722.6(all electronic one-for fun). I'm going to make my own transmission controller(the code is written, yet need to build the circuit board.), yet at the moment one can buy a few transmission controllers to do this. It is a popular path that the diesel guys do to get rid of the 722.3-722.5 and put the long lasting 722.6 and more fuel efficiant transmission because they gain that 5th gear...See this thread:

If you want to rebuild your 722-3/722.4 transmission, here is all the info on this thread:

All the best,

Martin
So basically you say the fragment is from B3 piston spring ? Or from the 966 part ? 🧐

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,982 Posts
Yes, I would not totally worry about it. I still used my car if do fix this tranny for reverse, you will replace those springs.

Martin

·
7,982 Posts
in the transmission block inside

·
7,982 Posts
There is no possible way to look at that without taking tranny out right ?
Very remote chance. With a directional inspection video camera where one direct the camera lens. On the valve body you will need to get a new gasket. The plastic comes out The B1 is dangerous to remove and you will have no space to remove it. See photos. This is a 722.5, so the valve body to the left will look different...

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very remote chance. With a directional inspection video camera where one direct the camera lens. On the valve body you will need to get a new gasket. The plastic comes out The B1 is dangerous to remove and you will have no space to remove it. See photos. This is a 722.5, so the valve body to the left will look different...
Can you please send link where i can orrder those parts for replacment ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts