Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

rev limiter?

2924 Views 2 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  RobinG
hi,

I was wondering...
does a 190E 2.0 have a rpm limiter?
I saw in the manual the max. permitted rpm is 6000, but I can get it over the 7000 with ease...[?]

just wondering, don't wanna blow it, so..

greetzzz,

matteus
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Not sure about the 2.0, but on the 16V's they built the rev limiter into the fuel pump r...

Not sure about the 2.0, but on the 16V's they built the rev limiter into the fuel pump relay. Euro relays allowed higher rpms than the North American units. Typically what happens is that it shuts off fuel supply at a designated rpm, so the engine is fuel starved until you back off.

· Registered
155 Posts
But these type mechanisms can fail

I had a Saab 900 Turbo which also had the rev limiter built into fuel pump relay (I verified this by removing relay which was marked with 6000rpm limit). However I was in the car with a friend driving it cos I just got banned from driving, and due to an erm, "emergency situation" we had to make a quick getaway and I observed the needle going past the red and approx 1000rpm into the black after the red! (Redline came at abooout 6 and finished at about 8)

I am surprised the relay still worked when part of it had obviously broken.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.