Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from some SDS experts thanks.

I bumped an old post on the 230 Forum asking for help re coding a retrofitted Distronic to my W220 but no luck so far.

Because of the availability of many W220's now being written off and wrecked, there are plenty of second hand Distronic Units available, so I took the plunge and ordered the parts needed.

While waiting for them to arrive I have been double checking the coding/adaptation procedure which of course is not well documented so I have many questions.

Please see my post here. https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/2234858-distronic-question-5.html#post12226361

If you can help a reply on either forum will be much appreciated.

BTW I know about retrofitting Distronic to post 2004-06-01 cars which need SCN coding. My car is just pre 2004-05-31 so can be coded via an offline SDS, hence this new project and research.

I have added almost everything I know re Distronic here https://w220.ee/WIS_30.30_Cruise_Control_(CC),_Distronic_(DTR)

TIA Brian

·
Registered
516 Posts
Brian,

Sorry I can't be of help- but thrilled to learn you have taken the challenge of installing distronic on your w220. We will all be tracking your progress and cheering you on.

Mike

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the encouragement. We regularly drive 800Km mostly on Cruise Control, so Distronic will reduce the stress even more. I have driven several cars with radar CC and love it.

No technical replies to my posts so let me try again.

I cannot find any reference in DAS, WIS or elsewhere to the following W220 control units apparently needing adaptation when Distronic is fitted;
KI,
EGS/VSG,
LCP (Lower Control Panel).

Do they actually exist in a W220?

TIA Brian

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Brian, in xentry if you select control units by function and then look at distronic it will list all of the modules that are used by distronic. From there you can then check the modules for adaptations that may be needed in simulation mode before you start.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dean,
Didn't think of that. Spent all morning reading WIS and have decided that W220 doesn't have a LCP control module and that Distronic interfaces with Upper Control Panel (UCP) in W220.

Still haven't found what KI and EGS/VSG are.

I will check out your suggestion later today.

How much experience have you had with SDS and Xentry?

Regards,
Brian

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Hi Brian,

Dean probably knows more about DAS XEntry than most of us ;)

KI is Instrument Cluster

EGS Electronic Gear Selection, i.e Transmission ;)

Not sure how this Distronic Switches, but the LCP reference may be to do with Coding Cruise Control Switch, or if there is another "Distronic Switch" to go in somewhere:dunno: ...........................

I can never remember which "CP" is which unless I'm actually looking at the SDS Screen LOL

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Just had a quick look at xentry Brian and the list of control modules that are used for distronic is attached for you.
Some of the modules will need coding for distronic, others will not need coding but are used by distronic.

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Hi Dean, Brian,

I have virtually no experience of Distronic.

OK, I get why it communicates with all of those, except UCP ??

Why is it using UCP, any ideas ??

Rain Sensor, (to increase braking distance in the wet) ??

:dunno:

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Dave the upper control panel contains the DTR distance potentiometer and the DTR switch. By this I mean that the switches are contected to the upper control panel as is the "Automatic child seat recognition airbag off indicator lamp".

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thank you Dean and Dave. That clears up some issues. Obviously the KI is German for instrument cluster as I have only ever seen it as ICM – Instrument cluster with maintenance interval display.

I have now navigated my Xentry in Simulation mode to Dean's picture. Do I understand from that page that Distronic needs access to ie needs adaptation for, all of those control modules?

My initial draft of what is needed to adapt the control modules to DTR at https://w220.ee/WIS_30.30_Cruise_Control_(CC),_Distronic_(DTR)#Activation_.E2.80.93_W220_before_2004-05-31 seems to be missing a few modules. I currently have
• Step 02 Add DTR (Distronic) to EZS (Electronic ignition control module)
• Step 03 Confirm DTR (Distronic) added to EZS (Electronic ignition control module)
• Step 04 Unlock ME 2.8 (Motor electronics control module) SFI for programming
• Step 05 Add DTR (Distronic) to ME 2.8 SFI (Motor electronics control module)
• Step 06 Add DTR (Distronic) to ICM (Instrument cluster control module)
• Step 07 Reset/initialize DTR (Distronic)
• Step 08 Add DTR (Distronic) to UCP (Upper control panel control module).

From Dean's list I am missing;
• Transmission.
• ESM – Electronic selector module.
• ESP – Electronic stability program.
• CGW – Central gateway.
• SCM [MRM] – Steering column module.

Not sure about CGW as I previously found that the EZS (Ignition control module or N73) is the gateway for DTR t o the CAN-B interior bus.
Also I found DTR linked to N15/3 Electronic transmission control (ETC) control module. Is that the same as ESM – Electronic selector module?

Now to figure out what to do with them and where to add them to my list of steps as Xentry simulation is only partially useful. It will make much more sense when I can plug into my car for real.

Thanks for the help so far, Brian
PS I will PM Dean with some detailed SDS queries.

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Dave the upper control panel contains the DTR distance potentiometer and the DTR switch. By this I mean that the switches are contected to the upper control panel as is the "Automatic child seat recognition airbag off indicator lamp".
Hi @pinkster ,

Ahhh, cheers Dean,

That now explains all, I had always wrongly assumed the Distance was set as a Menu Option in the Cluster, didn't know about the Potentiometer, and Cluster has that little Car Graphic with Distances :wink

AFAIK none of my W220 Customers have Distronic, so I've never got to play :laugh
I'll have a good look at the V12 one when it comes in for a Valve Block next week, I've never noticed anything like it on that Car, but now I know where to look :grin

@ricebubbles

Brian, I'm not 100% certain, but all 2003MY UK Cars I've seen have not had a CGW, they are right on that "change over period", so like you said above, the EIS acts as the "Router" ;)

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is why you need to purchase the small wiring harness. It connects the new Switch block (S46/8) with distance potentiometer (S46/8r1) and distance warning function switch (S46/8s1) to the Upper Control Panel and from there via the CAN-B (Interior) bus to a heap of other control modules including N73 EIS (Ignition switch) which acts as a gateway to the CAN-C (engine) bus.

I think Dean's list shows CGW because Xentry is using simulation mode when in a real updated car it Xentry may just show EIS as the gateway instead.

That part seems to make sense.

Where I am having trouble is understanding development mode in SDS.

Why sometimes you use Control unit adaptations (Variant coding) (my STEP 05) and other times use control unit adaptions (download) (my STEP 08)

And why would you ever use Implizite Kodierung [Implicit Coding] which to me means very vague instead of Explicit Coding which to me means precise and with no doubt?

Brian

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
You are both correct, EIS is CGW in pre facelift cars. Just xentry in simulation mode.

Before you start coding your car Brian, you should connect to it and run through the module menus. You may not require developer mode. All ways best to fully check things first.

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Hi Brian,

Dean is quite correct, I doubt you will need "Developer Mode", retro fitting Distronic would be a job a main Dealer could do, therefore the Coding Options will all be available in the regular Menu's .................

Remember, the Dealers do not have "Developer" that was there for Factory use only, it is not enabled on "genuine" SDS.

We, with clone and enabled Developer mode can do a lot of things that the Dealers can't, they are not allowed to, like for example Raising the Factory Speed Limiter setting :grin

I suspect the Implizite is just another example of the many "bastardized" translations from German, to the Germans it is telling them that it is Factory Only & not for the Dealers...............

Well, that's my theory anyways :laugh

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
626 Posts
this guy added the distronic & made a video

fwiw I bought an R230 with the distronic and it is not as great as I hoped it would be.

It kinda makes me nervous since it only applies a max of like 45% of the brake
and also stops working below 20 mph, which means if you are whizzing along
the interstate and traffic is stopped if will only slow you down, not prevent a collision &
a 20 mph impact will ruin your day.

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Hi Guys,

That video /\ /\ /\ is very useful, a great shame he didn't video the Coding operations, I presume he must of had that done by a Dealer or Indie who didn't want it filmed.

Looking at where his Switch and Potentiometer were located, (Gear Shifter Panel), and also where that Wiring Harness plugged in, I now understand what the reference to LCP Coding is all about, LCP has to know it is there ;)

So it would seem we have learned something else, OK, remember the Car in the Video was a post facelift, so maybe early cars have the Switches and Wiring at different locations (UCP ??), to 99 - 03 model year :dunno:
It was certainly a very easy job to run and connect the Wiring on the Car in the Video :)

Info slowly coming together :grin

Brian, you now gotta do a complete video including Coding :devil
Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Dave, if you go to the video on YouTube in the comments under it he explains that the coding was done through a dealer with the costs listed.

As for the switch as I stated earlier it is connected to the UCP, and not the LCP. A quick search in wis for the block diagram will explain all.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
10 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing