Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an option to purchase a COMAND 2.5 out of a W220 s-class that has unfortunately been involved in a very serious car accident (all OK). The unit is out of the car, is australian-spec, according to the car owner does not have a tv-tuner, and comprises a metal fascia to which three DIN sized boxes attach to the rear and a screen and buttons in three parts to the front with some ribbon cable.<br> <br> I am considering this as I am building up a car at the moment to my own spec (non MB), at the moment the interior is bare metal and the w220 owner has suggested that this would be a nice touch for my car, having ridden in his s-class when it was alive, i can't agree more :). But exactly what else does this thing do, we played cd's, i know it plays tape, and used satnav also....<br> <br> Has ANYONE completed this translplant with any degree of success ? if I can get it to work i'd like to retain as much functionality as possible. These guys http://www.megacomm.de/menu/menu_telematik_mb/menu.htm seem to think installing a COMAND 2.0 system would be easier, unfortunaly there isn't one for sale around here at the moment :).<br> <br> The owner is willing to sell me the CD stacker also and i can see already it hooks up largely via the fibre optic out on the middle DIN box. <br> <br> having done some research on this now there is a data bus (CAN-bus) mb uses between interior devices (i believe there's a separate bus for engine signals), does the COMAND system act as a gateway ? how much of this bus neds to be emulated for the COMAND system to work ?<br> <br> also, we can't yet find the amplifier for this thing and are wondering if it's on-board of it signals are put out at line-level and an external amp can be connected. I've heard rumors the amp is digital...... does anyone know the specification of the amp ?<br> <br> any idea how much a used tv-tuner goes for ?<br> <br> any help appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I presume you are going to put it in a S class. You will need the dashboard wooden front as the hole for COMAND is very different to the hole for the standard audio.<br> <br> TV tuners sell for about $400 on Ebay. Youll also <br> need the TV aerials (top of the rear windscreen) and the TV wiring harness.<br> <br> You will need to purchase the fibre-optic and the rear wiring harness - you should purchase the rear wiring harness 'with TV' (rather than the one that feeds only CD player and aerials) in anycase, since you have to take the same amount of the car apart to install either of them.<br> Buy them new from a MB dealer, they are not particularly cheap, but better to have new fibre optics for sure)<br> <br> Get all the mounting screws etc etc aswell when the unit is removed.<br> <br> This will mean lots of taking the car apart - Ive assumed your not in the USA so your GPS aerial and aerial wiring wont be there, which is a pain.<br> <br> R

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks richard;<br> <br> it's actually going to find a home in a jag xj6 which has just come back from the panelbeaters for a respray (a mica burgundy), with the power coming from a 500hp chev LT1 :) fear not merc lovers, the 300D is still the daily driver.....<br> <br> at the moment the interior is all out and i'm rewiring the interior, so it's not a problem.<br> <br> i have access to a cnc wood lathe to cut a new wooden fascia, so that's not a problem either.<br> <br> i take it the tv, gps and phone ariels are not the same ? *sigh*<br> <br> as for the CANbus inputs/outputs, what do they do ? do they need to be connected in a car with no other CANbus devices, or are there inputs that need to be simulated for the device to function properley ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Youll need to buy the 'canbus' similator from www.megacomm.de - and if you dont actually want TV, id put in the megacomm video adapter - lets you connect a DVD player.<br> <br> The similator will take the speed pulses and lighting signals etc to the unit.<br> <br> If I were you. i'd buy the other COMAND (without tape player), its easier to integrate and lots more is known about them since theres lots around on ebay.de<br> <br> The aerials are all seperate - however, on MB cars the GSM and GPS antennas are in the same physical housing normally. The TV stuff is seperate, just buy a diverse TV aerial from clarion or such like.<br> <br> If you are in USA, and want TV, you need the *latest* TV tuner to support NTSC<br> <br> R

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thankyou very much richard<br>
<br>
i'll bug you just one more time..... what does CANbus exactly take to the COMAND unit ? i know it's a twisted pair network and that theres an interior and drivetrain network, and that's about it.....<br>
<br>
i take it i just can't jam in the light signals and that the bus formats them, and that the speed inputs are essential to the GPS unit ?<br>
<br>
so without CANbus, i'd be investing in a rather large tape/cd players that did tv and gps in a past life ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Without CAN-Bus, the COMAND will shut itself off within 30-40 minutes because the COMAND will think the car is turn off. VSS(vehicle speed signal) is probably transmitted through CAN-Bus for the S-class and without VSS the navigation function will not work. This can be bypass if there is a separate contact for VSS, such as the COMAND 2.0 for the E-class and CLK. <br> <br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get it, thanks.<br> <br> One very last (i hope) question......<br> <br> where is the amplifier for the speakers installed in this car, or is it intergral to the COMAND unit ? does anyone have any specs on it ?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has an integral amp<br>
<br>
Or it can be connected to the BOSE digital amp (via the fibre optic connector) from the S class. It may be possible to connect it to the Bose analog amp aswell<br>
<br>
R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts